Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1964 Pontiac GTO Convertible. 68 400 motor. Burgandy red + white top. Owned since Mar 2020.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running 15s (Cragars) on my 64 GTO. I am getting ready to spend some money on new coils and shocks. I would also like to jump up to 17" Cragars.
What is the largest and widest tire I can run (in the back and front) on my 64 goat before I have to worry about tire rubbing?
I really appreciate any/all feedback on this issue. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I don't know how much difference between a '64 and '65 but I'm running 15x8 4.5 setback on the back with 275/60/15 drag radials with 3/4" spacers under stock springs on my '65 and it's tight. 15x7 with 215/70 up front with 1" lowering springs and it's close too but never rubbed. American Racing has a good measurement guide for wheels and setbacks. I rushed my decision to get it on the road so I thought 15" was the biggest I could go over the 14", now I wish I had 17" ...maybe someday with some massaging of the rear wells and I want the spacers out as it looks better.

·
Premium Member
1964 Pontiac GTO Convertible. 68 400 motor. Burgandy red + white top. Owned since Mar 2020.
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, especially the pics. I was initially thinking the biggest tire I could use in back was a 255, but your 275 is almost 1 inch fatter, and 1 inch taller. Once I make all these tire decisions, with Cragars, I will then be shopping for new coil springs and shocks. I think I want the stance to be 1-2 inches above the top of the tires. Any recommendation on whether I should consider coil-over springs? Thank you again for your time and your great pics!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know how much difference between a '64 and '65 but I'm running 15x8 4.5 setback on the back with 275/60/15 drag radials with 3/4" spacers under stock springs on my '65 and it's tight. 15x7 with 215/70 up front with 1" lowering springs and it's close too but never rubbed. American Racing has a good measurement guide for wheels and setbacks. I rushed my decision to get it on the road so I thought 15" was the biggest I could go over the 14", now I wish I had 17" ...maybe someday with some massaging of the rear wells and I want the spacers out as it looks better. View attachment 145475 View attachment 145476
Those meats look killer! Had I not gone the 17", lower profile look this is what I'd have done. Looks mean.

MyPops, I have a '66 and got 17 x 10 with 4.5 backspacing and 275/40 tire on the rear. Had to use a 5mm spacer to prevent inner framerail rub. Seems to be plenty of room left between the tire and inner fenderwell even with a 1" drop. Not sure if a '64 is drastically different or not though.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Thanks! Like I said I rushed to get the car on the road and thought 15's were a big upgrade but being out of the game for 30 years and now going to shows where 17-20" is normal I wish I would have done 17" but you're limited on tire sizes so I'm considering 18". I found some US Mag wheels similar to my American Racing wheels that are available in 18", idk if I could run 17" in front and 18" back and I have to figure out my back spacing. My fronts are close but I guess if I go shorter then I can go wider. And I want to get rid of the 3/4" resr spring spacers because it sits to high in my opinion, but I need to make more room in the well first and that might have to wait until body and paint. A 275/45/18 is almost identical to the tires I have now just need a 9" rim, but a 17" tire would be a 305/45/17 with a 10" rim and almost 12" wide to keep close to 28" tall so I don't add more rpms.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I don't know much about the coil overs but they look like a good system and are adjustable, I have considered it but they're costly plus idk if they would work with my SSM lift bars and anti sway bar.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those meats look killer! Had I not gone the 17", lower profile look this is what I'd have done. Looks mean.

MyPops, I have a '66 and got 17 x 10 with 4.5 backspacing and 275/40 tire on the rear. Had to use a 5mm spacer to prevent inner framerail rub. Seems to be plenty of room left between the tire and inner fenderwell even with a 1" drop. Not sure if a '64 is drastically different or not though.
Thank you. Great info!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts