Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting subaru sti forums and I saw that they talk a lot of sh** about the new GTO. has anyone of you experienced an sti or evo on the road or any other cars? I really wanna know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are those the ones with the big ass scoop in the hood and the HUGE wing in the back? If so, I have been desparately trying to get lined up with one - there's a couple in the area. I got close to being at a stoplight with one, but he chickened out and turned off.

So far I've officially burned off 3 different Mustangs, and an unknown rice burner (they all look the same to me!) and immeasurable numbers of generic cars/suv's who's owners think they are in the same class as a GTO when they hear the rumble at a stop light. I don't even bother looking at them and "normal" GTO acceleration has them about 3' from the line when I'm across the street.

---Larry

·
Registered
5 Posts
all things being equal,(driver, both stock, etc.) the wrx sti would smoke a GTO. IIRC the sti does 0-60 in the 4's, and does the 1/4 in the 13's. I imagine the phenominal 0-60 is due a lot to the AWD.

That said the sti is lighter, and lacks many of the ammenities that the GTO has. It is loud as anything, has a harsh ride, and last year didn't even come with an audio system. It's like the Acura Integra type-R all over again. Comparing the two cars is apples and oranges in a sense.

I was going to purchase an STi, but in reality it probably would be impractical for me due to the harsh ride and loud cabin.

Let me sum it up this way, my father would never be cought dead in an STi, it is very boy racer, is loud, rough riding, and basically a street legal rally car. On the other hand, my father loves the interior and ride of the GTO, says its very comfortable etc, and loves the power he gets as an added bonus.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
An STi will outrun a Porsche 911 to 60, and maybe to 100. Methinks a decently-driven STi would easily hand a stock Goat its ass in a stoplight-stoplight drag or canyon-burning. Like what Doug said, however, they are sake-burning go-karts...nowhere near the same class of car as the GTO.

On the freeeway, though...buh bye now. Buh bye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LarryM said:
Definitely doesn't sound like anything I've seen around here then.

Actually your description sounds like the STi, unless its a wrx in STi clothing. Hey, just try to get him on the highway :)

Also the driver will make a HUGE difference. A few years back I used to run my VW GTi VR6 occassionally at the track. Totally stock, not the best performing car. mid to high 15's in the 1/4. Anyway I routinely beat people in camaro's and mustang's that just were poor drivers, they would get off the line slow and often miss gears.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GTO VS STI....the GTO would get owned. The stock STI is good for 13.2 consistently. I have been begging to get lined up next to a GTO with my SRT-4. Can't seem to find anyone around my area, but I am pretty sure I would hang with the Goats. With the mods I have I have seen 13.2 in 1320 runs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, I didn't know so many people race in magazines...

So what the sti does 0-60 in 4. whatever.... stock for stock, the GTO would win hands down...

The GTO Puts around 300-320 to the wheels depending on the weather...

The STI puts around 250-260 down...

The GTO weighs about 3700 lbs while the STI weighs in at about 3300

The reason the GTO is slower in the quarter and 60 is wheelspin... It has too much power for its tires...

But who cares about 0-60, how many races are 0-60....

Why dont you line the two up on a highway and go from a 40 roll up to say around 140... I know the GTO and Its LS1 will have no problem getting up there... But the STI with its oversized wing and useless hoodscoop the STi will be approachign its top speed while the GTo will cruise to just over 160 road permitting....

I am sick of people saying, "my car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds" OK who cares... its only 60 MPH... show me 0-150 and i will be impressed... but can the sti make it up there... i dont think so, becasue it is designed with higher gears and turbos to sell cars and all that, but it will struggle up top becasue it is not as well designed as the GTO... The GTO/Monaro was designed to be at high speeds such as 120 and above, cars such as the STI were designed to rally and be at speeds under 100 MPH and go into a turn quickly, but it lacks the speed... If you go on VIR, Pocono, Nurburgring, laguna seca, Sebring, Or daytona and run a GTO vs. the STI... I will bet my life that the gto will win...

Apples to oranges... Either way GTO is still Superior in speed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ill stick with the GTO

You can keep the STI. I will stick with the GTO with all the creature comforts of a daily drive car. The STI is good for one thing only - rally racing with lots of low end torque.

Plus, who wants to look like a total dork with that big ass wing on the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The STi is one of those pesky little ricers that actually grew up to be a real pain in the azz. The Vette guys are constantly bothered by these things... here's a Motor Trend write up... 3 pages... last page has some numbers.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0306_frstsub/index2.html
This is the every thing you wanted to know about your arch enemy site...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2004.html

Now the really sad part, this car can be made to go faster for cheap !!!!! :shutme

The STi will hold a Vette (non Z06) right to the end of the 1/4 mile... it's any one's race... just depends on who makes a mistake. No room for error here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
catchmeifucan said:
You can keep the STI. I will stick with the GTO with all the creature comforts of a daily drive car. The STI is good for one thing only - rally racing with lots of low end torque.

Plus, who wants to look like a total dork with that big ass wing on the car.
:agree

I'm a 39yr old mother of 3. It may be faster, or nearly as fast, but I think I'll leave the mad-hornet-sounding, big wing 4 cylinders to the rice-burning, bass-thumping, baggy-jeans-wearing crowd. Even with that said, I took my goat to see my 19yr old last week. He's one of the above mentioned and is in a 'car club'. (whatever) I let him drive my car and he stopped by no less than six of his friends' houses to show it off. These boys were almost literally drooling on the hood, and two of them refused to let us out of the driveway until they'd been taken for a ride. Anyway, I'd much rather pull up sounding like a growling panther than a pissed off hornet. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just traded in my Mazdaspeed Protege and I will say that some are stereo-typing the owners of cars like the STi and Evo to the extreme. Those cars are a blast to drive, have a good power to weight ratio, and are very capable. I am in no way a baggy jeans, bass loving, teenager and know many married men and women that drive such cars because the understand the potential for auto cross or other activities. The Mazdaspeed had almost the same amount of amenities as my GTO with exception of leather seats. My main reason for letting it go was because building the engine was going to be costly to get the car into the low 13s which was a lot easier in the GTO. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla, and the same is true with cars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ummmmm....isn't that what I just did? post an opinion? sorry if i stepped on someone's toes. was not intentional. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Redline said:
Wow, I didn't know so many people race in magazines...

So what the sti does 0-60 in 4. whatever.... stock for stock, the GTO would win hands down...

The GTO Puts around 300-320 to the wheels depending on the weather...

The STI puts around 250-260 down...

The GTO weighs about 3700 lbs while the STI weighs in at about 3300

The reason the GTO is slower in the quarter and 60 is wheelspin... It has too much power for its tires...

But who cares about 0-60, how many races are 0-60....

Why dont you line the two up on a highway and go from a 40 roll up to say around 140... I know the GTO and Its LS1 will have no problem getting up there... But the STI with its oversized wing and useless hoodscoop the STi will be approachign its top speed while the GTo will cruise to just over 160 road permitting....

I am sick of people saying, "my car does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds" OK who cares... its only 60 MPH... show me 0-150 and i will be impressed... but can the sti make it up there... i dont think so, becasue it is designed with higher gears and turbos to sell cars and all that, but it will struggle up top becasue it is not as well designed as the GTO... The GTO/Monaro was designed to be at high speeds such as 120 and above, cars such as the STI were designed to rally and be at speeds under 100 MPH and go into a turn quickly, but it lacks the speed... If you go on VIR, Pocono, Nurburgring, laguna seca, Sebring, Or daytona and run a GTO vs. the STI... I will bet my life that the gto will win...

Apples to oranges... Either way GTO is still Superior in speed
R U DUMB? Useless hoodscoop for the STI? How would the intercooler get air? This STI will own your car. Just wanted to let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just so you know, a guy at work has an EVO that does low 11's and it looks stock, so don't take these cars for granted. I was at the track a few weeks ago and there was an EVO vs STI shootout and plenty were running in the 10's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
http://www.autos.com/autos/passenger_cars/sporty_cars/acceleration

Not sure how to post a link in here but I will post the web address anyways. This lists the fastest 0-60 MPH times for most models (It ignores the premium models)

Well, I know the 0-60 MPH times are not everything. I for one, love the GTO's power after it hits 60 MPH. I don't think some of these 4 or 6 bangers designed for low end torque would compete with the GTO at that speed. But, an interesting comparison anyway.

Never had a "real" challenge yet. Heck, probably haven't even had to use 70-% throttle yet against everyone. But, I know the time will come one day when the pedal will need to be pushed 100%. With an auto, what is the best strategy for some good racing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The GTO numbers should be 5.3 (or so). The Corvette number is for the new 2005 C6. And what about the Cobra Mustang?? Where is the 4.4 at?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it comes down to the fact that it takes no talent or skill whatsoever to race an awd car. Dump the clutch at high rpms, and don't miss a shift. It's damn near impossible to lose on the street.

So yes, unfortunately the STI will probably beat up on a GTO for sure on the street, and it's a good possibility at the strip. Add some drag radials to the GTO, and it's a different story (track surface permitting).

I'll come right out and admit that I just finished helping a buddy out on his honda civic that we had built for the street and strip. The motor put down 454whp, 300tq leaking boost. He ran [email protected], and in two or three weeks we'll be out again getting the car into the tens. That car will walk all over my GTO, and I'm not afraid to admit it. But I'll also say that if I spent the money on mods that he has spent, the story would be different.

Just my .02

·
Registered
265 Posts
Over 400HP from that itty-bitty 4-banger? But how the heck does he get that HP to work on a front wheel drive? I mean, I had 1 FWD car in my entire life, a Pontiac 6000STE, with not a lot of HP that thing torque steered something awful. And while I guess its good to have the weight of the engine over the drive wheels, isn't the weight shift of a good launch counter productive to FWD?

Just not understanding the raw physics of a "drag racing Honda"

---Larry

1 - 20 of 104 Posts