Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to think the auto companies research web sites to get ideas about what the folks want before sending another model to production. If you were designing the rumored 2009 GTO what would you change? What would would stay the same? Add your list!!!

Changes: (from most important to least)

1) Obviously put the gas tank where it should be.

2) Build the car to take HP mods well, say up to 600 hp (ie: ability to take wider tires, not need to swap drive shafts, joints ect. Maybe a "heavy duty" option??)

3) Fold down rear seats (at least a pass through), maybe seat 3 instead of 2 in the back

4) Memory seats "option"

5) Weight (less of it!)

5) 500 hp Z6 engine "option"

6) More head room, sunroof "option"

Things that should stay the same!! Most important to least.

1) Continued use of Vette engines

2) Price higher than Mustang, less than Vette.

3) Continued progression toward modern syling (ex: BMW M3 & Infinity G 35), but strive for impressive yet low key like Audi.

4) Avoid the retro craze styling.

·
Registered
172 Posts
one thing that i hear many many people say is that they want the old style GTO to play into the new ones and i cant agree more. thats one thing that ford has done well with the new mustang and somewhat chevy with the new camero. but yes i do agree they need more head room, but i enjoy the 2 bucket rear seats and my passengers have commented on how comfortable they are and how supprised they are on the room. And one major thing is that Pontiac shouldnt have taken the modeling for it from Holden and had them produced in Australia, I mean honestly its kinda belittling to tell people that are fascenated with the car that its really not an american muscle car like they think when they hear pontiac but that its an Australian car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Euro styling

Before I purchased my GTO, I was looking at the BMW M3. Obviously much more money for about the same amount of performance. I had my car parked next to an M3 not to long ago and found that they share simular styling. I think they should stick with the modern styling unless they can come up the a retro design that will blow me away. If that happens, I'll be the first on line.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GZP 06 GTO said:
Before I purchased my GTO, I was looking at the BMW M3. Obviously much more money for about the same amount of performance. I had my car parked next to an M3 not to long ago and found that they share simular styling. I think they should stick with the modern styling unless they can come up the a retro design that will blow me away. If that happens, I'll be the first on line.

:agree

I'm more than a bit tired of the retro craze. I bought the GTO for it's styling as it is, not how it was. Leave it alone in the styling dept. Loose the weight, and that's about it.

In a way, I'm kind of glad it's going on hiatus. The current design is pretty rare and you don't see yourself too often. And because they'll redesign it, it'll remain that way.

You sure as hell see a crapload of 'stangs out there. <<YAWN!!!>>

Jim Miller

·
Registered
113 Posts
From what I've seen, generally, the guys that like the older body styles are the guys that grew up in the 60's/70's, and the guys that like the new style are those that grew up in the 80's/90's. Now personally I think that there are two major reasons that the young guys like the new styles. One because there pretty much hasn't been another choice for buying a car that isn't civic inspired, does put down a lot of power, and doesn't force you to take out a second mortgage on your house. And the second reason is that you really don't see very much of the original pontiac muscle. They are rare, fairly expensive to restore, and if you do find one that is in pretty good condition, the owner is asking 20G or more, as much as a new car!! Since the cars aren't around, the younger guys don't get to see the coke bottle styling, the hurst shifters, the red line tires, the rally two wheels, the hood tachs. They don't get to hear the engine making such a ruckus that is makes your insides want to crawl out, and they really don't know what it is like to drive a car that is bone stock and puts out gobs and gobs of torque (even the little pontiac engines in the 60's had over 400tq:D ). The new cars these days (except for a rare few) are just plane jane styled, have just enough horsepower to get by, and have wheels so ugly that they make all of us 60's/70's enthusiasts reach for our sunglasses. :cool I am one of very few pontiac lovers, that actually like the new mustang styling a lot. Now don't get me wrong, I have never, and will never own a mustang. Now I know what some of you are thinking, only one of the 60's guys would ever be able to rant like this. Ha fooled ya, I am actually only 20 years old, and was brought into the pontiac world at age 8 when my dad had me out cleaning valve covers on his 66 Tri Power Goat. All I am saying is that most of the 60's guys won't ever fully love the new cars, and most of the younger guys won't ever fully love the original cars.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wishlist:

1. Make it easier for us to install wider tires

2. Strut Rub shouldn't ever be used in the same sentence as GTO

3. Displacement on Demand because gas is expensive these days

4. Keep the weight down... say a maximum of 3500 pounds

5. Please avoid making the interior look like it came out of 1969. New car should have a new modern interior. Don't try to imitate the mustange interior or look to the past for inspiration on what the new GTO interior should look like.

6. Advertise and Market the GTO so it will sell well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
GM deeper into bankruptcy

lotaguts said:
with gas @ $3 a gallon now and who knows how high it will be in 09 and GM deeper into bankruptcy by then who knows if there will be a GTO....

They have been turing profits lately and are almost out of bankruptcy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.