Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly purchasing a 1967 GTO. What I know about the car is that it is a 67 hardtop, very nice straight body with blue paint job 7 of of a 10, was originally turquoise according to owner. Possibly a 360 HP 400 engine and maybe original to the car. It is a 4 speed w/ decent original interior. I don't have any pic's of the car as of yet. What I need to know is the rough value of the car before making an offer. I know the market for sellers is suffering at this time. I just sold a rare Charger rt se 4 speed car for considerably less than its value from years past. I also need to know what particulars to look for in the car to determine desirable features such as engine number and 4 speed, rear end, codes? Any help is apreciated at this point. I am going to look at the car tommorrow and will try to post pic's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I woud not make an offer on the car until YOU have researched any documentation you can get off the car. It sounds like you are new to the GTO so do the search(s) needed here or google for sources. It is hard for anyone here to give you any opinion without pics and any codes you can get off data tag on firewall and engine block and heads.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
How long has the car sat since driven? Once you pass the codes test, check the gas tank, fuel lines, check for leaks from the water pump and radiator, and run it through the gears. These repairs could cost thousands. Don't ask me how I know these things.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i will not consider buying a Pontiac without getting the PHS document package first.
You provide the VIN and $65; PHS sends you all the original billing and option info for that specific vehicle. PHS Historic Services

You can't order on-line, but you can print out the order form and fax it in. If you're in a big hurry, they will fax your information within a few hours, but it costs more for that service.

The package confirms the original vehicle configuration, including all the options, colors, engine, trans, rear axle details. You will also get the selling zone & dealer numbers and the build dates for the car. You'll even get the original key codes.

As far as looking at the car tomorrow, the most important thing to confirm is if it is truly a GTO and not a clone. make sure the first 3 digits on the VIN are 242.
If it's anything else (233, 235 or 237), it is not a GTO.

The Wallace Racing site mentioned above is an excellent resource.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Sounds like you know how to check out a car...maybe just not familiar with a GTO...I agree PHS will help you "see what you got". Welcome, and Good Luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts