Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the GTO stops being produced this summer, what is gonna fill GM's void for a 30 something car with a ton of power and some nice refinements...

i cant think of anything in GM's line that has a stick, 300+horses, and some luxuries for under 40 besides the goat...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
NateDog said:
Once the GTO stops being produced this summer, what is gonna fill GM's void for a 30 something car with a ton of power and some nice refinements...

i cant think of anything in GM's line that has a stick, 300+horses, and some luxuries for under 40 besides the goat...
The Grand Prix GTP and the Monte Carlo SS sport a 300hp small block, but are FWD:(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I agree. Well, when they canned the F-bodies after 2002, we had 0ne year,2003, without an affordable GM RWD muscle car. Maybee after 2006 we will see something nice again.:cool

·
Registered
674 Posts
reality check.

They brought over 15000 GTOs for 2004 and had to practically give away about 7000 of them.

They brought over 12000 GTOs for 2005, lost a bunch in a ship that went down, another bunch in a train wreck, and still had to give big incentives towards the end of the year.

I like my GTO, but the reality is the majority of they buying public, dont really care.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GOATGIRL said:
Pontiac is going to have to do something...or change the slogan of "Pontiac...Driving Excitement"...You can't exactly have driving excitement without a car that can create that...
The Solstice is not a bad attempt at RWD, but Saturn is coming out with the "Skye"??? that looks a lot meaner (More like a XFire).

No comparison tho between these cars and the GTO; the pickins' are slim!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Think there's any RWD V8 Pontiac future in that new "BETA" or "ZETA" (whetever it's called) platform?:cool

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Think there's any RWD V8 Pontiac future in that new "BETA" or "ZETA" (whetever it's called) platform?:cool
I half expect IF they do come back with the Camaro, there will be a Firebird in Pontiac's future.

Conversely, if they ever bring back the Chevelle, maybe they will the GTO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2 cents

I agree. Without the GTO, the only cars in 2007 I would even look at that I can afford would be the Mustang GT and the Monte Carlo SS. Thats it, because everything else that I like is too expensive such as the Mustang GT500, the Corvette, the Z06 Vette, the Ford GT, and the Viper. Slim pickins if your a V8 Muscle car guy. Hopefully in 08 Chevy and Pontiac will have something up their sleeve. But even then I am sure GM will mess it up some how. I am glad my lease doesn't run until the end of 08.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Affordable RWD V8 options from GM: Zip now. Maybe the Camaro later -- but a Pontiac version is not guaranteed as GM is trying to cut down on badge engineered cars going forward.

Seriously? I'm thinking the Pontiac brand itself is doomed. Lutz let it slip last year that some GM brands, like Pontiac and Buick, were going to get the axe -- then backed off when their dealers went ballistic.

The guy to watch is Mark LeNeve. He turned around Cadillac (if you think Cadillac has in fact been turned around). Now he runs all of GMNA marketing. He wants Pontiac, Buick and GMC stores to combine. That's because standalone stores will not survive on their own.

Don't think GM is going to come right out and kill a brand off like Oldsmobile. Way to expensive to buy franchisees out. What will happen instead is that the number of models will be reduced to the point where dealers aren't making money -- and will either fold or willingly merge with other stores.

BTW, check out the cover story on the current issue of Fortune. It's about how goofed up GM is. Good reading.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
V8INTERCEPTOR said:
I also like the Dodge SRT Magnum and Charger SRT but they are both near 40 grand and the other problem is that they are four doors. A true muscle car only has 2 in my book.
:agree :agree :agree :agree :agree

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
He wants Pontiac, Buick and GMC stores to combine.
As far as I know, they are all combined. At least in my state,(SC).
McElveen Pontiac/Buick/GMC, Sentury Pontiac/Buick/GMC, ect.
If these nameplates are going to survive, GM is going to have to change their advertising methods. Their products are as good as everything else(except for the Aztek) they just need to get the word out.:cool

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.