Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Headers yield the highest RWHP Increase? :confused

#1) Kooks-Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats?

#2) Stainless Steel Works-Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats?

#3) SLP-Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats?

#4) Dyna-Tech-Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats?

Which will give me the highest RWHP Increase? :confused

Of these 4 sets that are well known, is there any Dyno tests done comparing them?

Please Help, have about $1,500:cool burning a hole in my pocket, must spend on headers!!! :party:

·
Registered
491 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I personally hate Kooks and Stainless Works.... I have the SLP's on my car and love them! And I sell them (w/cats, ceramic coated headers) for $999.00 which is cheaper than anyone else..... :cheers
Good price! SLP are my 1st choice. I only had one question though...w/ cats, are there bungs for all 4 sensors. I just ask because I remember seeing them listed at one site where it mentions harness extensions and the need for O2 simulators, even for the P/N w/ cats...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
Hmm, im gonna ask this just for the sake of it. Do you think a tune is required for long tubes, catback, CAI and a 3200 stall?

On an 05 mind you.
Yes, on the 05's the programming will let the car run too lean (I've seen this on a few of my customers cars), it can't compensate for the increase in airflow. Besides, the car will come alive with just those four mods and a tune! :cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Yes it has all 4 provisions for the O2's, however, on the 05's I would recommend a tune if you have any other mods done..... they sometimes throw a lean code (on all headers for 05's....).
Yeah, within a few days I'll actually have my cat-back installed [the CAI is already installed], but I was figuring I'd be able to wait until after the LTs are installed before I had it tuned.

G

·
GTODEALER said:
Yes, on the 05's the programming will let the car run too lean (I've seen this on a few of my customers cars), it can't compensate for the increase in airflow. Besides, the car will come alive with just those four mods and a tune! :cheers
hehe, THAT is the idea. :)

lesseeee,

long tubes ($1000)
catback ($500)
CAI ($250)
3200 stall ($800)

$2550 is my estimate, maybe you can give me a package deal for 2k eh Steve?

Wait, what am I doing, I gotta get the damn thing first!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
hehe, THAT is the idea. :)

lesseeee,

long tubes ($1000)
catback ($500)
CAI ($250)
3200 stall ($800)

$2550 is my estimate, maybe you can give me a package deal for 2k eh Steve?

Wait, what am I doing, I gotta get the damn thing first!
Catback is more than $500, it's more like $650 and up.....

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
Seems like everyone I talk to has their opinion about which are the best. So I'm at a loss too on which to buy. Rev Extreme inTampa/Brandon says the SLP's are junk, go with SW's, they are better made. Jesus someone help me decide B4 I spend $1k on headers. I personally thought the SLP would be better since they are coated. HELP!!!!!!!! Another company said the JBA mid lengths are good. I have money burning a hole in my pocket, wanna buy headers soon........so which ones?

G

·
crap, thought I had the pics on my server. I will have them up when I get home, around 3pm, and you can see that they WERE mandrel bends. Honest!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but any of those headers are gonna be within a couple of hp of each other. As long as you get some longtubes you'll be doing good. I've seen some people say how good jba's were and they gave them so much power, but I think the truth is that they had never had their car dyno'd previously or had a tune until they got the headers installed. So when they get them installed and then do tuning they think, man 30+ rwhp, when probably 20 of that was tuning alone. Just my .02.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
if most of the gain is from a tune, doesn't seem worth the $1k for that little a gain. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
I guess the question is, how fast do you wanna go right? I just need to know if it's worth the money for the LT's and a tune or just get a tune?:confused

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
Allright.........you made up my mind! LOL! I'll be calling you next week! I hope I still have your #. Oh BTW, love the B&M shifter! Reverse is working normally now. So far no leaks or loose bolts!:cheers

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.