Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 18 years of pulling an end dump....

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that will buff out LOL :rofl::cheers
I layed it over on a Thursday afternoon. I drove it home after it was back on the wheels. I pulled the exhaust off and interior out Friday morning and took it to a truck body shop. They pulled the dent out on Monday. I had the necessary parts delivered on Monday and picked the truck up on Tuesday. I was back to work at noon the next day....:cool

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I was going to say, considering what happened, there really wasn't all that much damage. Could of been alot worse. Quick turn around on the fix. You hardly missed a beat!:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was going to say, considering what happened, there really wasn't all that much damage. Could of been alot worse. Quick turn around on the fix. You hardly missed a beat!:cheers
Troy it was very fortunate that I was next to the soft pile of dirt from a sidedump trailer. It prevented the truck from going all the way to the hard ground and cushioned the impact a lot. I had the A/C on and the window up in the door. It didn't even break the window !!! Most of the impact was absorber by the exhaust stack/muffler and the side of the cab. It went over so slow that I had time to shut the key off and brace myself for the landing. The only injury I received was from my lunch box coming from the other side of the cab and smashing into my leg...:rolleyes: Had that pile not been there, the cab and possibly the hood most likely would've been totaled and I could've been injured by the impact and flying glass.

cant fool around when it comes to the paycheck. glad it didnt do major damage. doesnt look like the bed was very high?

The box was almost all the way up (20ft) when I saw it starting to lean in the mirror. I hit the down switch for the hoist and actually thought I had caught it, but it was too far over center. The box was only 4 ft off the frame when it tipped all the way over...:(

does it tear up the fifth wheel when you do that?
No damage to the 5th wheel but the frame is tweaked a little on both my truck and the trailer. The worst damage is to the 2" bar stock at the bottom of the hoist. It bent pretty far and it's a biotch lifting a load now because as soon as the box comes off the frame, it leans to the left quite a bit. I have to find another pile of dirt to back the left tires of the trailer onto to raise them 8-10" higher than the right to get the box to go up level. They will replace the pin this winter, after the work is done. We were supposed to work this week and then probably be done for the year but old man winter is here for the next few days and we can't do the job in this rain and wind.

Good to see that YOU"RE all right! Now, back to that '67 GTO.......
Thanks, Jeff....:cheers I'm looking forward to getting it back in the shop and welding the bejeepers out of it....:party:

Just for reference, here's a pic of the box all the way up...

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Some guys have a Peterbilt and a forklift in thier shop....(and even a toilet).....others have a Radio Flyer and a bottle jack.....Oh well,,,,back to twisting this %#@! bottle jack!!!!

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Thanks, Jeff....:cheers I'm looking forward to getting it back in the shop and welding the bejeepers out of it....:party:

Another project eh? Glad your OK, can always fix the machinery. :cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
:agree

1 - 12 of 12 Posts