Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HEY I AM 16 AND I JUST WON AN LEGAL CASE :party: (WON'T GET INTO) AND I WHANT AN GTO FOR 15,OO0 THOUSAND OR LESS IS THIS POSSBLE FOR AN GTO 04 -05 ? DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY GOOD DEALS ? ALSO I VE THOUGHT ABOUT EBAY MY PARENTSE DOES NO THINK IT A GOO IDEA BUT HAS ANY ONE USED EBAY TO BUY AN GTO ? AND DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE INSUARNCE WOULD BE I AM AN B,C STUDENT.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
HEY I AM 16 AND I JUST WON AN LEGAL CASE :party: (WON'T GET INTO) AND I WHANT AN GTO FOR 13,OO0 THOUSAND OR LESS IS THIS POSSBLE FOR AN GTO 04 -05 ? DOES ANY BODY KNOW ANY GOOD DEALS ? ALSO I VE THOUGHT ABOUT EBAY MY PARENTSE DOES NO THINK IT A GOO IDEA BUT HAS ANY ONE USED EBAY TO BUY AN GTO ? AND DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE INSUARNCE WOULD BE I AM AN B,C STUDENT.

You may want to look at getting an 04-05 GTO with a salvaged title and then fix it up, for the $$ you are wanting it for. Depending on what is wrong with it, it may not be worth the $ you put into it.

It's gonna be quite a few years before they drop that low in price.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would think about hitting the English classes a little harder this coming school year.

Seriously, I would not (in general) recommend a GTO for 16 year old any more than I would advocate them buying a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Even if you find one for $13k have you checked your insurance rates for a GTO? I paid $180/month when I was 23 and bought a brand new WS6 Formula. Now I look back and think how stupid that was, now at 33 I'm only paying $40/month for a new GTO....

·
Registered
388 Posts
bemeyer said:
Even if you find one for $13k have you checked your insurance rates for a GTO? I paid $180/month when I was 23 and bought a brand new WS6 Formula. Now I look back and think how stupid that was, now at 33 I'm only paying $40/month for a new GTO....
I think I need your insurance agent. I'm paying $700+ per 6/mo, am 42, married, and have no tickets or accidents on my records. That's also the third car on a multi-car/homeowner discount.

Gerry

·
Registered
455 Posts
To the OP, I concur with what some of the others have written. Insurance is going to be way too high for you (you are probably looking at $2000/year or possibly more). And really this isn't the kind of car that is good for everyone to have for their first car. I don't know you personally, so cannot judge, but for the majority of 16 year old boys this is too much car to handle at the time. You really need to gain some experience on something a bit more toned down; meanwhile you can save up for the car you really want for later.

See, part of it doesn't matter how good a driver you are directly, as far as how good you control the car. There is also a large percent where you need to learn how to know what the other drivers are going to do, and "drive" for them. This is the part that takes experience to pick up.

I tried explaining that as believe me, when I was your age, and my parents complained about my wanting a performance car, I was like "What? I can drive fine (meaning I can control the car in and of itself).

/edit: Oh yeah, I need Bemeyer's insurance agent too. I thought $400/6 was ok.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It is a tough call about the age thing- my first car was more powerful than my GTO, but I grew up on go carts, dirtbikes, snowmobiles, etc. and had always been very "mechanical" in my thinking- "ok- car does this, I do that to compensate" came natural to me. Others have the common sense of a paper bag and have no right behind the wheel of a damn Yugo, but yet they are out there driving a brand new Vette or something. Judging by how he "speaks", I would have to say too "young" mentally for the car, but without knowing him, I really can't say for sure.

I know people who have used lawsuit money, trust funds, etc. to buy a car and they treat it with respect and do not go out driving like an ******* since it is their pride and joy and they appreciate it, then I have known others who have used the same type of money, drove like an ass and neglected the car because it was "free money"- a couple of them died along the way, severely injuring or killing others with them- not something I want to see happen to anyone. Screw the ******* who does it, but the innocents never should have their lives taken like that.

I think it all boils down to character and respect- for yourself, the vehicle and others- if I had to judge someone based on what they type, I'd say he has a long way to go.

Oh yeah- insurance will be brutal also :)
Joe

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is There Any Way You Can Get An Lower Insurance Rate ? My Mom Has An 95 Bens I Raelly Take Care Of It, Wax Wash And Detail Every Month Looks Beatuful!! To My Mom Was Acutalyy Okay With It Because She She How I Take Care Of Cars But She Was Worried About The Insurance To And Is Really The Only Big Problem With Me Geting This Car. Really One Of The Few Cars I Really Likes (muscle Cars That Turn)

I Have An Gokart Really Nice Bought It Fo 400bucks Has An 30 Hp Engine It Is Kind Of Big But Low And Relly Fast Has A Spedo On It I Did About 70mph On A Mile And A Half Straight Road

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The only way to reduce insurance rates ......

Take Drivers education, and behind the wheel training at skuel. You can see a reduced premium upwards of 100.00, or more per year depending on your insurance company.

Good grades

Accident free driving record

Age, once you reach different age brackets, your premiums will reduce.

Get on mom and dad's policy. Get into an accident, or start amassing claims, and mom, and dad. will be cancelled.

Get a 4 cyl. car and forget the high preformance, or sports cars, unless you have the $$ and don't mind where it goes.

Save $$ by driving beater cars while you build a safe driving record. Then use your savings to graduate up to the next level.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
Is There Any Way You Can Get An Lower Insurance Rate ? My Mom Has An 95 Bens I Raelly Take Care Of It, Wax Wash And Detail Every Month Looks Beatuful!! To My Mom Was Acutalyy Okay With It Because She She How I Take Care Of Cars But She Was Worried About The Insurance To And Is Really The Only Big Problem With Me Geting This Car. Really One Of The Few Cars I Really Likes (muscle Cars That Turn)

I Have An Gokart Really Nice Bought It Fo 400bucks Has An 30 Hp Engine It Is Kind Of Big But Low And Relly Fast Has A Spedo On It I Did About 70mph On A Mile And A Half Straight Road
Listen, all kidding aside; I don't know if you actually talk this way, or it's a lack of hand to eye coordination on your keyboard.

Put that money in the bank, until you can put yourself through at least 2 years of community college. Get a technical degree of some type. If that's not your bag get some training in one of the trades. That will be the best money you've spent.

It's a gift to yourself that will keep on giving, and then go buy yourself a Goat with the money you're making.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
noz34me said:
Listen, all kidding aside; I don't know if you actually talk this way, or it's a lack of hand to eye coordination on your keyboard.

Put that money in the bank, until you can put yourself through at least 2 years of community college. Get a technical degree of some type. If that's not your bag get some training in one of the trades. That will be the best money you've spent.

It's a gift to yourself that will keep on giving, and then go buy yourself a Goat with the money you're making.
This is why my price limt is so Low 200,000 is for school. I am going for somthing in computers haven't really decide yet on what in that field I will chose.

·
Registered
388 Posts
MJGTOWISH said:
This is why my price limt is so Low 200,000 is for school. I am going for somthing in computers haven't really decide yet on what in that field I will chose.
I know there's been some jabs at you here, and I've tried to not be one of those. After serving 10 years in the Army, I got out and have been a software developer for the last 14 years. While I spend most of the day writing code that amounts to intentional misspellings, one of the most treasured traits of a good developer is effective communication.

I don't want to sound insulting, but you should take some of that money and invest in spelling and grammar lessons. You are young and have a whole life of driving nice cars ahead of you if you spend the money wisely.

I can't blame you for wanting a muscle car at 16. I know I sure did...I had to settle for driving my mom's puke-green Plymouth Fury III with with a white vinyl top when I was a kid. After my uncle and I rebuilt the 383, she was a sleeper though.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. My advice is to buy a cheap car, ride around, and see what it is you really have to worry about - all the other idots on the road :willy:

Gerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.