Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when I am sitting at a light, I hear this series of 'pops' coming from the right rear. It is about 5 pops and always sounds the same. I am assuming it is normal but what is it? It sounds almost as though someone is knocking on my window....popPOPpopPOPpop

Also, sometimes (fairly rare) when I am letting out the clutch in first (low speed accel.), the rearend makes a noise and the 'low traction' indicator flashes. I have not been able to duplicate on demand and it has done it since the car was new. It has done it in both first and reverse. I have close to 17k miles now

Cow
2005 CGM m6

·
Registered
48 Posts
i don't know exactly, but if it sound like its inside the rear 1/4 panel the coil springs could be out of it boot and beyond my expetise to fix. Maybe some dealer could help. Im still look for someone decient, even to get an oil change

·
Registered
304 Posts
WOW...I thought I was crazy. My car has 19,000 miles on it and I've heard that "tap tap tap"......sounds like someone is gently knocking on the rear passenger quarter panel. It used to happen only when I put the car in reverse and I would hear the series of taps/pops just once. Now I occassionally hear them when waiting at a red light. I haven't a clue as to what it is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've heard that "tap tap tap"......sounds like someone is gently knocking on the rear passenger quarter panel. I hear it when waiting at a red light.
I think it may be somthing to do with gas tank vent system???

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok, you all have this too?!?!

For me, it happens when torque is applied to the drivetrain. Happens more at low speed, and also sometimes during shifts. I had mine in the shop and they determined it was the crossmember bushing that was making the pooping noise. This is the bushing they unbolt and drop to install the upper insulator bushing for the "thunk-in-the-trunk" TSB.

Let me know if you guys can determine the same.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think it is a little funny I read this thread before I went to work and when I got out I had the same experience that holden had. I was sitting at a red light and then I heard the tapping from the rear passenger area. I don't know if it matters, but I have an 06 model. What year do you guys have?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine is an '05.

There was a TSB for a "thud in the trunk"? I heard that once or twice, I just thought it was the body in the trunk.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thunk in the Trunk is when you accelerate "aggressively". As you shift, the crossmember get pushed up and thunks into the body. The TSB installs insulator bushings between the crossmember and the body.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was stopped at a light, It was as if some one went "knock, knock, knock" on my right fender or inside the trunk. It's never happened again and I though there was a body in the trunk too...

:eek:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Weird. Mine happens under torque. But it is the passenger rear, and I've already had it narrowed down. I was hoping if others were having issues, there may be a TSB thing for it. :(

·
Registered
456 Posts
Robertr2000 said:
"knock, knock, knock" on my right fender or inside the trunk.:eek:
Sorry,

My right Rear fender. :D

I was thinking maybe the exhaust? Or muffler is knock on something?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Holden said:
I've heard that "tap tap tap"......sounds like someone is gently knocking on the rear passenger quarter panel. I hear it when waiting at a red light.
I think it may be somthing to do with gas tank vent system???
I think it's a vent solinoide
If it does it Im stoped @ same light, about 3mi from cold start. First time I realy thought one of the school kids was Knocking on car.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I Stall Automatics said:
Do all of you have the stock exhaust system?

I do.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have only heard it one time. I thought there was ghost in my back seat :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hadn't heard the sound in a while but this morning, on the way to work, sitting at a light, there it was again...

I have stock exhaust...
It is not the drive train or suspension, my best guess is to agree with Holden, that it has something to do with the gas tank venting....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts