Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at 1966 and 1967 GTOs. I've noticed on the Hagerty Price Guide that it lists a 1966 GTO with TriPower as having 360hp. The non-Tripower motors are shown with 335hp. However in classifieds that I see, the owners say the GTO is a Tripower with 335hp. Will a Tripower automatically be 360hp?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Tri-Power GTO's are rated at 360hp, the person who posted the classified is incorrect. I know of a 66 and a 67 for sale not far from you, send me a pm if you want more information,

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The price guides are notoriously inaccurate regarding options, engines, and everything else on our old Pontiacs. Best to find other sources for your information.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What they said. However, the 65 and 66 models had 389's that had 335 hp with a Carter AFB 4bl, and 360 with the tri-power set up I believe. In 67 GM bowed to pressure from insurance, environmentalists and such and banned multiple carb set ups (read tri-power) on all vehicles except the corvette. So in 67 they bored the motor 4.12 and made it a 400 cubic inch. It came with a Rochester Quadrajet that gave it 335 hp, or you could get the 400 HO that had 360 like the old tri powers. I've had both and actually prefer the 67 variety, but it doesn't sound as cool. I don't think the song would have been as popular. "Little GTO, really lookin fine. 4 barrel and a his and hers automatic, on a 400...stops on a dime?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts