Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Found this ad for a 71 GTO Judge. Looks like a Lemans, but has a lot of strange stuff. Is this a real car or a Lemans with a bunch of add ons? I know that pontiac did some weird stuff in Canada.
- Rear spoiler
- Judge decals
- GTO emblem in grille
- Strange hood

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
All,

Found this ad for a 71 GTO Judge. Looks like a Lemans, but has a lot of strange stuff. Is this a real car or a Lemans with a bunch of add ons? I know that pontiac did some weird stuff in Canada.
- Rear spoiler
- Judge decals
- GTO emblem in grille
- Strange hood
Well, on the surface, it looks to be a LeMans with Judge stripes and a really f-ing, butt-ugly aftermarket hood.
Also, hard to see in the pic, but the spoiler looks more like a 69 type, then the 70-72 airfoil design.

If you can get the VIN, that will tell the whole story.

GTO = 242371*XXXXXXX w/* = Letter code for assembly plant
LeMans = 235371*XXXXXXX
LeMans Sport = 237371*XXXXXXX
Tempest = 233371*XXXXXXX

Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
And it probably has a 402 under the hood!

Don't you find it funny the three guys in the same club are looking at this.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The lack of the endura front end and the grills are typical of the lemans. I can't imagine someone ordering a Judge with the endura delete option.

Just another clone, what do you mean by "weird stuff in Canada?"

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive seen a car that looks like it on ebay awhile ago..and in some magazines ive seen canadian pontiacs and chevys that look rly wierd..like it would have the body of a 69 chevelle and the grill would look like an olds grill and it had a olds 442 hood but it was a pontiac..beaumont is one of the names of the pontiacs that were made in canda..they have grills,fenders,hoods,decals,rims,emblems,and other misc. stuff on the car from other cars..most of the pontiacs made for canada were chevy powered..i almost bought a gto from canada and it originally came with a chevy 302..lol..i checked the vin and the engine id numbers too..kinda wierd though..i didnt trust it so i didnt buy it..car was worked alittle bit..pretty fast but it didnt seem right with a 302......................

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
ive seen a car that looks like it on ebay awhile ago..and in some magazines ive seen canadian pontiacs and chevys that look rly wierd..like it would have the body of a 69 chevelle and the grill would look like an olds grill and it had a olds 442 hood but it was a pontiac..beaumont is one of the names of the pontiacs that were made in canda..they have grills,fenders,hoods,decals,rims,emblems,and other misc. stuff on the car from other cars..most of the pontiacs made for canada were chevy powered..i almost bought a gto from canada and it originally came with a chevy 302..lol..i checked the vin and the engine id numbers too..kinda wierd though..i didnt trust it so i didnt buy it..car was worked alittle bit..pretty fast but it didnt seem right with a 302......................
I'm pretty sure the Beaumont was a re-badged Chevelle (66-69), it used the same dash as the Tempest/Lemans/GTO. In 1970 the Pontiac Tempest/Lemans/GTOs were imported into Canada. As far as I know in 71 the GTO was only built in the Atlanta, GA., Baltimore, MD., Framingham, Mass., Pontiac, MI., Arlington, TX. and the Freemont, CA. plants. The car you were looking to buy was probably a 66-69 Beaumont with GTO emblems.

Here is a 68 Beaumont,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lack of the endura front end and the grills are typical of the lemans. I can't imagine someone ordering a Judge with the endura delete option.

Just another clone, what do you mean by "weird stuff in Canada?"

"I mean like the Jury that was dreamed up in Canada. A 1970 Lemans, with the Lemans front end, GTO hood, 1969 rear spoiler, bench seat, a funky stripe going over the top of the car, and a 350 engine..." I'm not saying that I would mind having one today, but that's my explaination of "weird stuff in Canada".

·
Registered
681 Posts
Was the delete option even available in 71? I know that in the early days of Endura, 68/69, it was a delete option, but I didn't think it was in 70-72.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Was the delete option even available in 71? I know that in the early days of Endura, 68/69, it was a delete option, but I didn't think it was in 70-72.

Russ
Russ,

I remember reading some time ago that pontiac offered an endura delete on GTOs in the later years (68-72), My knowledge on those years is weak at best.

Also, I went to the Moultrie Swap meet today and saw that same grill from the first post on a 71 Luxury Lemans,

well i could be wrong lol...

but it was a white 65 wtih a black convertable top
In 65 Pontiac Canada sold the Pontiac Acadian which was a re-badged Chevy II/ Nova. Did the car you are speaking of look like this;

"I mean like the Jury that was dreamed up in Canada. A 1970 Lemans, with the Lemans front end, GTO hood, 1969 rear spoiler, bench seat, a funky stripe going over the top of the car, and a 350 engine..." I'm not saying that I would mind having one today, but that's my explaination of "weird stuff in Canada".
I'd like to see pictures of the US cars imported to Canada and see the mods done to those cars by Pontiac/Chevrolet Canada.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Its a Lemans. The only year you could get the endura delete option was 1969.

You could order a Lemans Sport in 1972 that came with the Endura option, but not the other way around..

That car looks like a hill billy job for sure...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You could order a Lemans Sport in 1972 that came with the Endura option, but not the other way around..

"A hill billy job for sure" Ha ha, that's pretty funny....true, but funny. Strange or not, the car is defienetly unique. The owner/seller doesn't sound too knowledgeable about GTOs. I tried to call him to get more info on the car.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

If the guy is like that in his ad, the car is twice as hacked. Stay away and find a nice clean car that isn't too molested. There's too much that a paint job can hide....

·
Registered
681 Posts

Just an fyi to clarify, the Endura delete option was offered in 68 & 69.

Russ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts