Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Im going to guess that it's a resistor.

Well, it's a resistor for sure, Im going to guess what it's for.

Older cars had an inline resistor for the ignition coil. Most aftermarket companies, like Accel, included a giant resistor, similar to yours with thier coils when you purchased them.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Assuming that's what it is, then yes, GTO's came with the resistor built in, as is mentioned in this add.

You can verify that it is what I think, by tracing the wire and seeing if it goes to the coil

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Rad. Thank you. Although, I think this is connected to the wiper motor for some reason. (?). I'll double check when I get home tonight.
WELL!!!!! The wiper motor is a VERY popular place to steal a keyed-12 volt- source for an aftermarket ignition.

In fact, on a 67 GTO, it's about the only keyed 12v under the hood, which is easily accessible. So it may be coming from the wiper and going to the coil

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
As usual, Army is right. That is the exact same resistor and coil I added back in the 80s. Big bright performance looking items all over the engine compartment! I like things to look more discreet and vintage stock these days.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
As usual, Army is right. That is the exact same resistor and coil I added back in the 80s. Big bright performance looking items all over the engine compartment! I like things to look more discreet and vintage stock these days.
Oh man, if I finally got something right, Im asking @BearGFR to make it a sticky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know much about the history of this car or rather, I've forgotten. It was my first car - bought for me by my dad in 86 for $500. It never had the original engine in it from what I remember, but I don't recall if my dad swapped the engine to what's in there now (455) and he has since passed away. So, that resistor isn't stock? I'd like to replace it since it's so ugly.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
If your car has a points dizzy (distributor), and DOES NOT have the factory resistor ignition wire, then you would need that resistor.

If your car has any kind of upgraded dizzy, such as an HEI, then you don't need that resistor. Many folks didnt know, so they installed it either way.

I cant say for certain, but assuming that it is what I mentioned, then it really doesnt make sense...

The only time you need to steal keyed 12v from the wiper motor is when you're bypassing the oem harness resistor, so adding one would be silly/ unnecessary... However, as I mentioned, it was very common for folks to do.

Post more pictures if you can. Show the dizzy.

If you have an HEI, you can ditch that resistor all together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. It's not stock. Sorry about your dad, but glad you still have the GTO and are keeping it going.
Thank you. He let it sit behind a shed for 30 years and I just got it back after his passing, so, it needs a TON of work but I'm determined to fix it up. Runs great. Although is very rich in the exhaust. I know that's likely another topic but I noticed that setting the distributor is different on Pontiacs than Chevy's. Again, another topic that I'll ask later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your car has a points dizzy (distributor), and DOES NOT have the factory resistor ignition wire, then you would need that resistor.

If your car has any kind of upgraded dizzy, such as an HEI, then you don't need that resistor. Many folks didnt know, so they installed it either way.

I cant say for certain, but assuming that it is what I mentioned, then it really doesnt make sense...

The only time you need to steal keyed 12v from the wiper motor is when you're bypassing the oem harness resistor, so adding one would be silly/ unnecessary... However, as I mentioned, it was very common for folks to do.

Post more pictures if you can. Show the dizzy.

If you have an HEI, you can ditch that resistor all together.
Thank you! I definitely will post more pics when I get home!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Might be worth mentioning that if the original small body stock distributor was changed out with an aftermarket electronic module the module would need a full 12 volts but the coil would still need the resistor. This might be what we are looking at in the OP's photo with what looks like 12v in and the module's power wire attached with it, and the coil wire on the far side of the resistor receiving the reduced voltage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts