Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 6-speed GTO and it just doesn't seem to be as fast as I thought it would. I just raced a co-worker with a stock Subaru Impreza STI at the dragstrip and lost BAD. I ran a 13.8 to his 13.0. Amazingly, he had a faster mph than me as well, running 105mph to my 104. Has this happened to anyone else? Is my car sick, or are the STIs that baddd?

·
Registered
312 Posts
There has to be something wrong there my 04 GTO runs middle to upper 13's so your should be lower 13's. The STI's are pretty nasty with that turbocharged 4 banger. But I 've never seen one run that fast.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dunno

How was the start? Did he get a jump on you? Were the shift patterns ok? One other big thing that I noticed with my GTO, is that the engine REALLY starts to shine and perform better after you've ran it for 5k plus miles. How many do you have on it so far?

:confused

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He killed me off the line. After that it was pretty close. I shifted a couple hundred rpm before redline, and I have less than 1k miles......

huskerGTO said:
How was the start? Did he get a jump on you? Were the shift patterns ok? One other big thing that I noticed with my GTO, is that the engine REALLY starts to shine and perform better after you've ran it for 5k plus miles. How many do you have on it so far?

:confused

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's your problem.
Your engine is tighter than a nuns panties. Let it loosen up and do it again after 5k miles or so. Also don't expect wonders with the 05 GTO. I have an '04 and I am putting out 319 RWHP and the most I have heard from an 05 is around 330 RWHP. Do some mods then race again. The STI's and Evo's are no slouches. Don't expect to be leaving one of these behind in a trail of your exhaust smoke.

Good Luck
:cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I've seen STI's run high 11's before....... don't underestimate these...
Yup. They are way fast. I considered buying one before buying the Holden, but was turned off by the spartan interior that the STi has. Hey, it's a lightweight rocket.

If I had stupid money, I'd buy one just to freak people out. :D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
1MeanGoat said:
He killed me off the line. After that it was pretty close. I shifted a couple hundred rpm before redline, and I have less than 1k miles......
Try to get closer to redline, especially in 1st and 2nd. The LS2 makes it's power pretty high in the rev range. Also as said your car needs to break in. If he is running 13.0 now though, you might not catch him till you start modding.
What mods does he have? Don't let him tell you it's stock, the STI stock is a mid to high 13 second car. With minor tweaks those things get into the 12's and are wildly fast for a 4 banger econo car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There are a few guys here with STI's that I have beat when stock vs. stock. What the STI guy will not tell you is they can get up to 17psi of boost on those puppies and when they do that, they will walk on a GTO. I ran a STI with the higher boost on the stock turbo and he pulled on me even at 130 plus... pretty damn impressive when you consider how strong the GTO is at the high speeds.

STI guys will not admit to the boost unless you get to know them pretty well.... then the secrets come out.

So beware of the STI... yuo never know what you will get.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Greetings

My 2003 Evo with a ton of mods, bigger turbo,injector, cam, cam gears, stand alone engine management system, etc. ran 11.7 at 118 at the 1/4 mile at Ennis Texas. Street driven it was a killer.

My 2005 GTO is not even close to being as fast but is a nicer, more comfortable car, much easier to live with day to day. I prefer driving it to the evo. Both are about the same money by the way

Goat Boy

·
Registered
556 Posts
You gotta remember that the STi has AWD, so they'll get the jump off the line, if driven like it's stollen. They have short gearing to take advantage of the traction too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Those little boogers are fast... The reason I got the Goat over the STi was due to maintenance costs... I believe the stock tires were rated at 7,500 miles because they were so soft. Pulling 300 ponies out of a little over 3 litres can't be too good on the engine either. I'd still like to have one for winter though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Try to get closer to redline, especially in 1st and 2nd. The LS2 makes it's power pretty high in the rev range. Also as said your car needs to break in. If he is running 13.0 now though, you might not catch him till you start modding.
What mods does he have? Don't let him tell you it's stock, the STI stock is a mid to high 13 second car. With minor tweaks those things get into the 12's and are wildly fast for a 4 banger econo car.
Exactly. That is my point, my SS stomped my buddy's STI when he was stock(The SS was not stock) But I high 12's to low 13's in my SS. The two are evenly matched b/c he forgot that the SS is AWD also. Being 5500 lbs. I needed the mods or he'd walk all over me.But stock the STI's are quick but not fast I've never seen one go faster than 13.4 :cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
That AWD will get you from a dig. But if you run from a roll like 40mph you would probably have alot better race. That should take away the advantage of AWD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That STi couldn't have been stock.
My STi only trapped 100mph when it was stock and I have a lot of experience behind the wheel. I also know many STi owners and none of them have run that fast stock.
With full exhaust (down pipe, race pipe, exhaust), Blitz intake, 17 psi boost via a Turboxs boost controller, I was able to trap 105 mph in my STi.

I was able to trap 105 mph in my bone stock 05 GTO (only 320 rwhp) wheel hopping down the track.

But don't feel bad he could have been stock to still beat you. Those cars can pull low 13s (bone stock) very easily if well driven. I pulled back to back 1.66 sec 60' times in my STi (with only exhaust mods). I also beat every Z06 Vette that ever lined up next to me. So that should make you feel better to know I was smoking Z06 Vettes in my basically stock STi.
HP without traction doesn't do much.

So just practice your launch and get a few mods and you will be back in the game. Yes, there are 11 sec STi's around but most only run high 12s - low 13s. The ones running upgrade turbo setups are pretty few and far between.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
BLACK05GTO said:
That STi couldn't have been stock.
My STi only trapped 100mph when it was stock and I have a lot of experience behind the wheel. I also know many STi owners and none of them have run that fast stock.
With full exhaust (down pipe, race pipe, exhaust), Blitz intake, 17 psi boost via a Turboxs boost controller, I was able to trap 105 mph in my STi.

I was able to trap 105 mph in my bone stock 05 GTO (only 320 rwhp) wheel hopping down the track.

But don't feel bad he could have been stock to still beat you. Those cars can pull low 13s (bone stock) very easily if well driven. I pulled back to back 1.66 sec 60' times in my STi (with only exhaust mods). I also beat every Z06 Vette that ever lined up next to me. So that should make you feel better to know I was smoking Z06 Vettes in my basically stock STi.
HP without traction doesn't do much.

So just practice your launch and get a few mods and you will be back in the game. Yes, there are 11 sec STi's around but most only run high 12s - low 13s. The ones running upgrade turbo setups are pretty few and far between.
If you beat every Z06 you lined up against it's definitely because the driver sucked. The stock 405 hp Z06's run 12.2. Every one I saw at the track with nothing but drag radials pulled mid to high 11's. So don't toot your horn too much over beating bad drivers. I suck at racing and I pulled consistent 13.2's with my stock automatic '98 C5 on the original run flats.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
If you beat every Z06 you lined up against it's definitely because the driver sucked. The stock 405 hp Z06's run 12.2. Every one I saw at the track with nothing but drag radials pulled mid to high 11's. So don't toot your horn too much over beating bad drivers. I suck at racing and I pulled consistent 13.2's with my stock automatic '98 C5 on the original run flats.
I was thinking of throwing the same comment in. I ran an 11.501 at 118 with only DR's and an intake. Very few guys with Z06's can't get into the 11's with just DR's. One guy on the Corvette Forum, Ranger, has a couple low 11's with Slicks and an intake and lots of practice. No other mods.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts