Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the thread says. what makes a manual get better gas mileage than an automatic?? Someone told me the RPM's are highger and that is less strain on the motor??Also, should i keep the auto in 3rd even up to 45 mph???

thanks

G

·
a manual gets better gas mileage because 6th is a ratio of .5 to 1. In the auto, 4th is .76 to 1. THAT is what makes the manual get better gas mileage. Whoever told you having better gas mileage means having the engine at a higher rpm, have them drive around at 6000rpm in 1st for 30 minutes and see how much gas they go through. The LOWER your rpm's are, the better gas mileage you will get.

Your best bet is to leave the car in OD, and use as little gas as possible when driving. Sure its hard not to floor it, but with light pressure, you will get MUCH better gas mileage.

G

·
I think that depending on the conditions your in, since the motor is reving higher, your not using as much gas. but when it was left in OD, you were using more gas to get that passing power. then again, I dont own one of these cars, so it could be somewhere in the tuning. But past experience would indicate that driving around in your highest gear yields better gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Also in a manual you save gas when you stop in traffic or at a light. Probably not much but enough to make a difference. When stopped, you hold the brakes on a manual to prevent the car from rolling. In an auto, you brake to keep the car from rolling and moving. Sounds the same huh? Energy is always transfered to the wheels on an auto, unless you're in neutral, which in turns uses a little more gas. If you have a very high stall converter that use of fuel, when stopped, will be lessened. Hopefully I explained that clearly :confused

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Big Mike's right about the overdrive gearing for freeway use -- but there a number of other ways a manual can improve your gas mileage.

With an auto -- the car always dictates what gear you're in. With a manual, you're in control. So if you're driving on a parkway -- and see a light turning red a couple of blocks ahead -- you can pop the car into neutral and coast up to a light. That saves gas. You can do the same going down hills and stuff.

Also, if you're in heavy traffic and see that things are moving slowly and and steadily, say around 40 -- you can roll the car up to about 45 then drop the car into 5th or 6th and coast back down to 40 no problem. The engine won't even lug. With an auto -- you're probably going to be stuck in 3rd or 4th.

Do stuff like the above a few times with the instant fuel indicator showing -- and you'll surprised at how good the numbers will be.

·
Registered
454 Posts
manual trans is also lighter than an auto.......probably not so much that it affects the mpg but possibly a little and combined with everything else you get the better mpg rating........but I bet in real world conditions most manuals get the same or worse depending on driving style(it sure is easy to push in that clutch and rev the motor at every light just to hear that sweet sound of American muscle)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.