Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I'd like to know what kind of oil you guys are running in your big HP Pontiac's. I've been advised and use conventional 20W50. Who likes synthetics and what's your opinions on additives such as ZDDP or TPFE?

·
Registered
19 Posts
In all of my older cars I run Mobil 1 15W50. It's formulated for earlier design engines and has the necessary ZDDP already in it. I believe it's either 1200ppm or 1500ppm, I've forgotten which (you can check the website for the exact amount). I've never had an oil related failure while using it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my 04 Mobil one 5w30 synthetic
In my 64 Delo 400 30w
In my 69 Mobil one 15-50 synthetic
The reason behind the Delo 400 is it is a heavy duty gas or diesel engine oil designed for severe duty and when that car comes out it goes home all hot and bothered. I routinely do 6,000 RPM shifts and she lives.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Rotella 15/40 with ZDDP additive in the '67; and some Valvoline 10/30 in the '65 from a case I bought in the '90's that still has ZDDP in it. Soon to be Brad Penn in both cars as I understand even the diesel spec Rotella and Delo is low on ZDDP these days. I run full synthetic in my 4Runner in case I blow up the cooling system in the desert and have to drive out no matter how hot it gets. Synthetic oil will still flow at over 350 degrees. I don't use 20/50 oil in anything. I used to, but now I know better. Engines with factory tolerances do not need such a thick, power robbing oil, IMHO. I too am a bign fan of synthetic oils, but it's "overkill" most of the time. The big issue is regular changes, and ZDDP with flat tappet camshafts.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm going to run Valvaline VR-1 racing oil 10W30 once I get the break in oil out of it.
Kilkm68 you need to post some pics of that car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts