Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to buy a radar detector for my GTO and dont know which ones are good,,ive been looking at reviews and it seems like the only good ones are over $200,i found a few good reviewed ones for less than $100 but it sounds to good to be true,,,can anyone advise on a good one for cheap,,something less $100 maybe

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use "Me" I haven't had a ticket in 29 years. You have to be aware of whats around you and if it's your territory, then you should know where and when the cops stay in wait.
Watch your mirrors at least every 11 secs, Highway patrol and state troopers will sneak up on you in a far right lane and clock your speed. Then boom the lights are on and you say where the hell did he come from... ;)

Distraction, Messing with radio, Cell phone or just not really paying attention while driving.

Oh BTW I don't drive conservatively, I would be considered an aggressive driver but a safe one.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I used to use an old Cobra from the early 90's that eventually got lost over the years. I'm not all that heartbroken about it because they do you no good. Most cops don't use "Radar" anymore, and instead are using infrared lasers. The very nature of the infrared lasers make it impossible for you to react in time, no matter how good your detector is. If you're going 10+ over and you hear it go off, it's already too late, he's got your speed.

I haven't been pinched for speeding in almost four years. This is what I've learned:
1. Be conservative with your driving to begin with. 5 over is plenty. Your speed is not what makes the difference in travel time, its the amount of stops you have to come to.
2. Realize there is a time and place for fun. Don't screw around forever in one place. Pick times that are during the day, outside of rush hour, and in places with little to no traffic.
3. USE YOUR EYES. Don't speed on the freeway around on-ramps... cops like to hide at the top of them and catch you from behind. This seems to be the #1 method for the Wisconsin State Patrol.

Really the device to use is a jammer, not a detector.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i speed i usually always keep an eye out for sharks but man i know tickets are expensive and didnt want the risk,,,i know cops are meaner with young racers ive seen it so i dont wanna get caught in that position,,,i agree the eyes are the best bet but i guess im just the paranoid type that thinks of the what if,,,thanks for the info and insight

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I think cops are more likely to nail you if they see that detector in the window too. They're certainly more surly after they have you.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
i want to buy a radar detector for my GTO and dont know which ones are good,,ive been looking at reviews and it seems like the only good ones are over $200,i found a few good reviewed ones for less than $100 but it sounds to good to be true,,,can anyone advise on a good one for cheap,,something less $100 maybe

For about $450 all in, you can get the best radar detector made -- Valentine One (go to "valentineone.com"). It has a supplemental monitor that lights up at the dash level, leaving the radar detector on the visor or dash dark, with no lights visible. I know you want a cheaper type of radar detector, but this one has saved me a number of times, especially on local roads. It picks up laser, radar and other signals. Good luck with your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts