Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my 69 GTO Back together and I'm looking into different options for shocks. Not trying to break the bank, So i was just curious what y'all are running.

Thanks in advance!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
KYB gas a just's on the '67 since about 1984.....reasonable and excellent. Monroe's on the '65....not nearly as effective. Both were cheap.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
KYB gas a just's on the '67 since about 1984.....reasonable and excellent. Monroe's on the '65....not nearly as effective. Both were cheap.

I had the KYBs on my '67 and it rode like a lumber wagon, any little chuckhole and it would knock your fillings out.
They are in the pile along with the other parts to be sold @ the Pomona Swap Meet.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Hmmmm.....Mine have been on since 1984 and I have about 130,000 miles on them....and they are still holding gas pressure. I've been told by more than one person that my '67 rides like a Cadillac.....which is true.....a 1970's Cadillac, not a POS front driver!!! Perhaps you got some super-duper version.....mine are the same size as the skinny oem shocks. I love 'em!

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Hmmmm.....Mine have been on since 1984 and I have about 130,000 miles on them....and they are still holding gas pressure. I've been told by more than one person that my '67 rides like a Cadillac.....which is true.....a 1970's Cadillac, not a POS front driver!!! Perhaps you got some super-duper version.....mine are the same size as the skinny oem shocks. I love 'em!
I would have to look but I think they are KYB II or something like that.
The whole suspension was shot so I ordered the Bilsteins along with springs and all the other components along with front and rear sway bars and boxed trailing arms uppers, lowers etc.
The car was a Scary Larry when I bought it and I had to saw at the wheel on every corner.
It may have not even been the shocks but I ordered everything from the front to the rear including converting to disk brakes in the front.
Now it rides great and actually stops.
One more part, all I need is just one more part and it will be a runner again.
:rofl:

·
Registered
190 Posts
KYB gas and Monroe

I had Konis on the front and Monroe air shocks on the rear of my 66 back in the 70's until such time as I put the car in clean, dry storage.

When I did the complete off-frame rotisserie restoration that was completed about a year ago, I purchased KYB gas shocks for both front and rear. I painted them with the correct factory OEM grey paint so they would look "correct".

The car drove, rode and handled very nicely, but I wasn't happy with the stance. As a result, I replaced the rears with Monroe air shocks so I could get the stance "just right".

Still drives, rides and handles great!

Of course, the Diamondback B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A Redlines help with that too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts