Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across the opportunity to pick up a 1967 GTO. I know a little about these cars but am a classic car guy.

New to this forum and wanted to pick the brains of the pro's out there.
I understand it's worth what I'm willing to pay, but what would you pay?

Here's what I know about her thus far:

It's located here in Southern CA and according to the VIN, was built in Freemont, CA.
VIN# 242077Z128102

-Zero rust or rust repairs that I can see or the owner knows about. He has had it for 12 years.
-No accidents
-Not number matching engine
-4 Speed Tranny (not sure if M20 or M21)
-4.11 rear end (unknown if was a dealer installed option)
-Paint 7/10 and interior is new (Painted 12years ago)
-Total Miles on Odo 80,000
-No A/C car
-500 miles on rebuilt 400 engine
-Selling due to health issues (older guy)
-Original Exterior was gold (did not get the data plate numbers)
-Drum brakes all around

Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Last pic...

What say you?

My concerns...
-No center console (I guess that was an option?)
-Engine isn't true to the car and it appears there is a lot up stock stuff under the hood that is missing.
-Would have loved for it to at least have front disc brakes.

Any of this stuff a deal breaker for the GTO guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
What are you looking for? A numbers matching, nearly all original car fresh out of (or well preserved) restoration? Restomod with modern amenities (A/C, disc brakes, nice sound system, etc.) Or a car you don't care so much about the original-ness as long as it looks good, drives good, and is mechanically sound?

If you want more of the "true" restoration such as matching numbers and are a stickler for details, I'd pass. If you don't care and just want a great cruiser and the nitty gritty details don't bother you, this looks like a great choice. As far as pricing, I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty. But the motor alone should bring it down as far as value goes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

The two options you mention all depend on the price. I can live with a no numbers matching car as long as it's the right price. The stuff out there that is all original fetch between $25k-60k (from what I can see). And I'm not looking to spend that.

However, a car in this condition is worth what? If I buy it, I want to be able to sell it down the road for at least what I paid ya know?

Is this a $10k car? $15k car .. or under $10k?
I want to be logical when we talk price and understand where the value of the car is.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Nice looking Base optioned Post car, paint and body appear well done and black does not hide anything. Buyers market right now, i would mark it down for non original upholstery too. I would say 15K range if i had to guess and the rest is as well kept. Really hard to judge a car from pictures, need to see trunk and underside. Whats he asking as a starting point?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking Post car, paint and body appear well done and black does not hide anything. Buyers market right now, i would mark it down for non original upholstery too. I would say 15+ range if i had to guess and the rest is as well kept, need to see trunk and underside. Whats he asking as a starting point?
$18k
Not sure how flexible he is, but I think there is wiggle room.
Just wanna know the facts before I go in and offer less.

What should I shoot for?

·
Registered
121 Posts
$15k sounds like a deal that you could feel good about. $18k is probably fair too, as long as you don't need to dump thousands into it. It's all about how much money you would need to put into it to make it the car that you want it to be. If it is already there, I would go for it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
id say its worth a shot, I would take cash in hand and do a thorough inspection and test drive. Places to look are under the rear deck panel in the trunk at the window channels for rust or previous repairs. same with the usual spots (lower fenders and quarters, floor pan, door sills, etc.), if it's spent its life in SC they should be factory fresh and thats a big plus. Check all the wiring to make sure its not all spliced in. Strong magnet wrapped in a micro cloth will find any deep dent repairs mid panel. Looks well kept, not crazy about the cloth seats and the black block but they are original cores and the backs and trim look nice. It would cost 30K+ to build that car up if you could find an all metal roller (good luck) and did all the work yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to take another peak at it on Sat.
I'll take more pics of other areas (if I can).

I'll look it over some more.
I would love to pay $15k for it.

Would a center console be easily obtained? Aftermarket or otherwise?
Even if it didn't come with one, I really like the center console look.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TO my understanding, post cars were produced way less than the Hard Tops right?
But if I understand right, no post cars are worth more?

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I agree $15K would be a fair offer, although there were fewer coupes than hardtops, 17's are still more popular and worth more than 07's.

Things in your favor for negotiating the price are;

No console,
No A/C,
Coupe,
Black Block,
Non original block,
Wrong body Color,
Possible a chevy rear end, Pontiac offered the 390:1 or a 433:1,
drum brakes,
wrong interior,
aftermarket wheels,
possible, no PHS documentation.

4-speed consoles are hard to find and expensive,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree $15K would be a fair offer, although there were fewer coupes than hardtops, 17's are still more popular and worth more than 07's.

Things in your favor for negotiating the price are;

No console,
No A/C,
Coupe,
Black Block,
Non original block,
Wrong body Color,
Possible a chevy rear end, Pontiac offered the 390:1 or a 433:1,
drum brakes,
wrong interior,
aftermarket wheels,
possible, no PHS documentation.

4-speed consoles are hard to find and expensive,
What is PHS documentation and where does one get it?

Also, thought I read that the 4:11 was a dealer option when a car was ordered with a 3:90 ?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Pontiac Historical Society, they will send a copy of the original order and option sheets for a fee $65.00 i believe. The Coupes were more rare only because the open window styling on the hardtops was so popular. Ever notice most pics you see of a GTO hardtop the windows are all down? A lot were ordered bare bone for street/strip racers as they were lighter and the more rigid platform with the door frames and B-pillar, which may explain the console delete and lack of options. A base Model GTO is still a GTO, the most coveted (The Judge) was originally planned as a stripped down affordable GTO street racer with bright graphics but evolved into something more when marketing got it's hands on it. I love the extra bright work on the post cars and my doors still retain factory gaps and shut with two fingers just like the day it rolled off the line.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PHS is Pontiac Historical Society documentation. It shows factory info of the car you inquire about. I still need to get mine! You get it here, they keep raising prices every few years. Apparently now it costs $65.

PHS Historic Services
Thanks for that link! If I get a GTO, def. picking up at PHS

Pontiac Historical Society, they will send a copy of the original order and option sheets for a fee $65.00 i believe. The Coupes were more rare only because the open window styling on the hardtops was so popular. Ever notice most pics you see of a GTO hardtop the windows are all down? A lot were ordered bare bone for street/strip racers as they were lighter and the more rigid platform with the door frames and B-pillar, which may explain the console delete and lack of options. A base Model GTO is still a GTO, the most coveted (The Judge) was originally planned as a stripped down affordable GTO street racer with bright graphics but evolved into something more when marketing got it's hands on it. I love the extra bright work on the post cars and my doors still retain factory gaps and shut with two fingers just like the day it rolled off the line.
Good point. I do enjoy the no post look that's for sure. But the post isn't too bad either :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Approx. 81,722 GTO's were made in 1967 and 7,029 were "Post" cars. Post cars or (Coupes) were less expensive to purchase back in the day but still hold good value today. You can purchase a Center Console set up for 67 GTO from some Pontiac Restoration catalogs for $500.00+.

·
Registered
417 Posts
just to throw in my 2 cents... $15-18k would be a reasonable for a 4spd car that appears to be solid and a decent paint job. You could fix up the interior some with correct seat material and a center console, which would dress it up nicely.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Best way to find out all the options that car was born with would be PHS. If you have access to a fax, you could get all that information today.

At the bottom of the body tag you may have numbers and letters. The numbers are the groups and the letters are the options. For a 4 speed, you may see a 2L.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Best way to find out all the options that car was born with would be PHS. If you have access to a fax, you could get all that information today.

At the bottom of the body tag you may have numbers and letters. The numbers are the groups and the letters are the options. For a 4 speed, you may see a 2L.
Thanks for the Tip!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts