Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Searched "tire pressure" and beyond the shipping issue I see a range of pressures that owners are running. So I thought a New Thread on what Tire Pressure others have concluded would be useful.

The Owners Manual divides the chart into above and below 470 lbs. For discussion lets say Under 470 lbs and lets assume 17" wheels . I started at 35 lbs. around and will be working down to 30 .

So what Tire Pressure have you found as the best compromise (kinda looking for an exact number - say 32 around) ?

·
Registered
565 Posts
In terms of everyday use and no racing or anything, I would recommend just leaving it at like 35. Can't really go wrong that way, and I think it will give you the best tread life.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Your thread actually prompted me to ask a question that has been bugging for a while: has anyone filled their tires with nitrogen gas? A couple of shops are offering it out here -- touting a number of benefits I won't get into. One I will cite is a greater temperature resistance -- which allows the tire to perform more consistently.

OK -- I hear the jokes coming. Helium lightens my car and improves my gas mileage. Tried hydrogen but my car blew like the Hindenburg going over a speed bump. Had a nitrous tank laying around and used it -- but a ricer started sniffing my tires so he could sound like a man for once. You're killing me.

BTW, Xcommuter, I'm on 18s all the way around an am admittedly nuts for running 44 psi at every corner. I do it to firm the ride up -- and it allows for gentle four wheels drifts at slightly lower speeds. Keeps me honest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Your thread actually prompted me to ask a question that has been bugging for a while: has anyone filled their tires with nitrogen gas? A couple of shops are offering it out here -- touting a number of benefits I won't get into. One I will cite is a greater temperature resistance -- which allows the tire to perform more consistently.

OK -- I hear the jokes coming. Helium lightens my car and improves my gas mileage. Tried hydrogen but my car blew like the Hindenburg going over a speed bump. Had a nitrous tank laying around and used it -- but a ricer started sniffing my tires so he could sound like a man for once. You're killing me.

BTW, Xcommuter, I'm on 18s all the way around an am admittedly nuts for running 44 psi at every corner. I do it to firm the ride up -- and it allows for gentle four wheels drifts at slightly lower speeds. Keeps me honest.
Nitrogen is what Nascar teams use in their tires and air guns for the reason you gave-it's far more consistent than plain air with regards to temperature. What other benefits did that shop suggest?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
This topic can be debated till you get blue in the face...When I first got my wife's 04' Grand-Am, I checked the tire pressure and I ended up filling the tires to the max in accordance with the tire's psi recommendation, cause the tire pressure I thought was 10 lbs low. After I did this I checked with several professionals about which recommended psi do you go by, and once this topic appeared in a newspaper article written by a professional car care outfit that has weekly car care tips etc in my local newspaper. The Question was >> Who's advise do I take on the correct air pressure in tires. A. The psi on the tire, or B. The psi recommended in the door jam. According to article.... The answer is B. Go by the psi in the door jam. NOT the tires. I had always thought you go by the psi on the tires. I then verified this with tire dealers in the area, and the dealership. Here's the funny part. They all said go with the psi in the door jam except the dealership. Go figure. The service writer was incorrect, but, the prep guy's knew cause all the tires were filled in accordance with the sticker in the door jam. I now go by the psi recommendations in the door jam. :D

G

·
The greatest benefit nitrogen provides is less moisture than normal air which supposedly prolongs wheel/tire life by reducing corrosion at the wheel edges. I suppose the theory is similar as far as air tools go- compressors and air dryers aren't needed and the tools last longer.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I've heard that nitrogen doesn't cause the tires to oxidize also. This should help to keep the tires flexible and the bead against the wheel better.

My luck though, I'd forget that I paid lots of money for this and end up adjusting the tire pressure up or down and ruin it with regular air. I set my tire pressure to different psi's depending on what I'm doing. Drag racing is 26 psi rear and 45 front. Normal driving is 34-35 and a highway trip I'll go 39-40 to get better mileage and tire wear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nitrogen is both dry and inhibits oxidation. It's thermal expansion rate is very benificial if you run your car hard for long periods of time. The military uses nitrogen in aircraft tires for all of the above reasons. Years ago they used a dry air cart, but thermal expansion prompted the move to nitrogen. Navy Jets like the F-14 and F-18 have as much as 375 psi in the small nose tires for carrier operations. Not a lot of room for tire pressures to rise. All that said I use air in my goats 37 psi, but I do use nitrogen at the track in my race bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Xcommuter said:
I Searched "tire pressure" and beyond the shipping issue I see a range of pressures that owners are running. So I thought a New Thread on what Tire Pressure others have concluded would be useful.

The Owners Manual divides the chart into above and below 470 lbs. For discussion lets say Under 470 lbs and lets assume 17" wheels . I started at 35 lbs. around and will be working down to 30 .

So what Tire Pressure have you found as the best compromise (kinda looking for an exact number - say 32 around) ?
some one tell me how to start a thread and or topic? :willy:

·
Registered
565 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:
some one tell me how to start a thread and or topic? :willy:

In one of the forums where you're looking at all the threads (basically the page right before you into here to read this thread), find whre it says "Forum Tools" - it should be right under the page numbers for the forums. Just click on like Start new Thread or something like that on the tools menu.

G

·
roadracer said:
Nitrogen is both dry and inhibits oxidation. It's thermal expansion rate is very benificial if you run your car hard for long periods of time. The military uses nitrogen in aircraft tires for all of the above reasons. Years ago they used a dry air cart, but thermal expansion prompted the move to nitrogen. Navy Jets like the F-14 and F-18 have as much as 375 psi in the small nose tires for carrier operations. Not a lot of room for tire pressures to rise. All that said I use air in my goats 37 psi, but I do use nitrogen at the track in my race bikes.

I've also heard that nitro, being an inert gas, is used in most all aircraft tires nowadays- commercial, private and military- for safety reasons. Think fire suppression...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.