Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for two weeks now. Can get an 04 A4 for $24,700 plus ttl or an 05 A4 for $500 over invoice @ $32,300. That's a TON of money to save on an 04 but it's almost 2 years old already. I LOVE the LS2 in the 05 with the extra HP, so help me out here...WHAT TO DO??????

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I could pick between a '04 or '05 I'd choose the '05. I have a '04 and am pleased so far. No major issues & at 1700 miles it's starting to pull better. Have you considered a slightly used '04? You may find one around $22,000.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you can afford it, go with the 05. I've been waiting and saving for the past year and ahalf. I didn't want the 04 due to it not having scoops and true dual exhaust ,but thats just me. BTW, that is the same price I was quoted for a 6m,MBM. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I like the clean look of the 04 better than the scoops and rear diffuser on the 05 -- but the higher output of the LS2, bigger brakes, revised TC and split exhaust tips are definitely worth looking at.

Just depends on what your priorities are in life. Would you rather have $8K in the bank -- or an extra 50 hp that you'll use every once in a while? Of course, you could get the 04 and install a SuperChip -- and close that 50hp gap quite nicely.

BTW, the 04 does have true dual exhausts. The pipes are separate. They just run parallel to each other and exit in back of the driver's side. The Aussies had to run it around the gas tank in their Monaro.

·
Registered
50 Posts
superdave01 said:
Been looking for two weeks now. Can get an 04 A4 for $24,700 plus ttl or an 05 A4 for $500 over invoice @ $32,300. That's a TON of money to save on an 04 but it's almost 2 years old already. I LOVE the LS2 in the 05 with the extra HP, so help me out here...WHAT TO DO??????

If were you I would get the '05. The LS2 is a whole new ball game. coming from and LS1 to the LS2 so far I have noticed a huge difference. IMO think that the scoops and twin tails are sharp. beside the LS2 those are what sold me into giving up the TA for an 05. I just passed the 1,000 mile mark and the car is getting better and better..

·
Registered
50 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
I like the clean look of the 04 better than the scoops and rear diffuser on the 05 -- but the higher output of the LS2, bigger brakes, revised TC and split exhaust tips are definitely worth looking at.

Just depends on what your priorities are in life. Would you rather have $8K in the bank -- or an extra 50 hp that you'll use every once in a while? Of course, you could get the 04 and install a SuperChip -- and close that 50hp gap quite nicely.

BTW, the 04 does have true dual exhausts. The pipes are separate. They just run parallel to each other and exit in back of the driver's side. The Aussies had to run it around the gas tank in their Monaro.
Nice ride!! I like the wheels

·
Registered
15 Posts
iv had my 05 for a little under a week now. i like the 05's look much better than the '04. just my opinion. and the extra hp is very welcome. it's just up to u. i will be paying for this car for the next 6 yrs, but i love it and will be driving it for a much longer time. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
LS2Bluegoat said:
If were you I would get the '05. The LS2 is a whole new ball game. coming from and LS1 to the LS2 so far I have noticed a huge difference.
I understand that some of the LS2 engines in the new C6 Corvettesare losing the crankpully bolt, allowing all three drive belts to come off. Along with this, you lose power to steering, A/C, and Alternator.

Why wouldn't this happen to the new 05 GTO's engine? Is it something to be concerned about or at least aware of?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to warn you that depreciation of these cars is unreal. I bought my 04 in January for 23.5 and would be lucky to get 20 for it on trade right now - even with only 1200 miles. While the 05's are nice, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pop for the extra $8400 bucks and then take the depreciation hit too. Until the 05 proves itself to be better in the resale department, there's no way I'd buy one now.

You can buy a 2004 sport appearance kit for $600 which will give you the 05 hood if you really like the looks of that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just traded my '04 Mach-1 for the 05 GTO. I had a new '04 GTO A4 priced out for $22.9 at a dealer in south Texas and I was going to buy it and Keep my Mach (My first new car and my BABY) Then I drove the LS-2..... Traded the Mach on the spot. Payed invoice for the '05 $31,800. I am not going to worry about the money, I will make more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Zoomin had it right. The depreciation on these cars is ridiculous. With that said, no one should buy a new '05 unless you have money to burn. Buy an LS2 but WAIT 1 YEAR!! This is what I plan to do. In late '05 or early '06 I will buy a used '05 with less than 10k - still under warranty and hopefully with a few tastefull upgrades like full exhaust and suspension - say $23k. Let the first owner take the hit for owning the first LS2 goat in their neighborhood. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The more people think like that the quicker the rebates will roll in. Then it'll be possible to buy the '05 in the second half of this summer and still enjoy some nice drives before having to park it and just stare at it in the dead of winter or climbing in to sit on a frozen-stiff leather seat to imagine how nice it could be to actually be driving the darned thing . . . been there, done that. Anybody else?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I drove the 04 and the 05 and took the 05 without hesitating. I could have gotten the 04 for a ton less money and I do kind of like the looks better but one drive behind the wheel of the 05 and I couldn't get the 04. Don't get me wrong... the 04 makes wonderful power and I've driven a Trans Am LS1 since 1998, and loved it. But, the sound and power of the LS2 convinced me. I also agree about the depreciation. The smart money says buy the 04 and get the best deal you can... you can't go wrong at these prices. But no one ever said I was smart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.