Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this car used to belong to my uncle about 20 years ago and has been setting for 10. the guy who has it now wrecked it 10 years ago. the interior is gold and in very good condition because he put a blanket over it. it has a 400 but not the origional, automatic. the origional paint was gold with black top. the body is bad and the rear is smashed. i don't think the frame got hit bad but i think it'll need to be put on a frame strecher.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
you need vin and phs before you can get an idea of how much. other than that go buy a driver gto not this one. so much fun to drive and then make it yours. mine i'll probably paint it after the youngest moves out 4-5 years from now.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I am by no means an expert when it comes to the classic GTO, but those two photos are pretty scary. Think hard before you jump in…

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
With the economy the way it is there are alot of GOOD project cars out there cheap and even more finished cars cheaper than in a while. I would find a solid starte car and go from there..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the interior needs nothing and i'm sure the motor just needs gone through. all it really needs is the body work. i figure it'll be 2 to 3 grand to get the rear quarter problem fixed and the rest of the body work isn't anything i can't handle. i don't think it is as bad as the pictures look. im thinking $1500 to 2000. rolling project cars are going for $5000 on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I would estimate a frame off restoration on that car would run between $20 to $30 K, with the economy in a slump you can find nice numbers correct drivers for less than the cost of restoring one. Value of that car in my opinion is $1,000 to $3,000.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a picture of the 66 i was going to get two weeks ago but the guy backed out on me. just to give an idea of what i'm willing to get myself into.
now everyone will call me carzy

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would estimate a frame off restoration on that car would run between $20 to $30 K, with the economy in a slump you can find nice numbers correct drivers for less than the cost of resoring one. Value of that car in my opinion is $1,000 to $3,000.
a frame off restoration isn't really what i was going for. my uncle used to have it so i'd like to see it back in the family and make a fun driver for me and the wife on the weekend since my 04 is fun every other day of the week.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I would estimate it's worth at no more than $1000. You could that out of it just for parts. Your heart and mind are not in sync if you buy this car imo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i thought i'd spend $500 on a tempest as parts on the 66 and here i am selling it for parts and no one wants it. but you are right.:willy:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
here is a picture of the 66 i was going to get two weeks ago but the guy backed out on me. just to give an idea of what i'm willing to get myself into.
Hey - you got the time and coin I say go for it, but yes I think your crazy. Looking at the latest Pic. you get the award for our youngest member...:lol::willy::rofl::rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i'll try to get some pics of the 70 amx i restored. here is one of it behind the motor for one of my hot rods. not a good one though. i paid $1700 for it and that was way too much. it was missing the driveshaft, 2nd and 3rd gears, most of the floor and rear quarters. now i would have to say it is one of the coolest amc's i've seen. it now has a 390 go pack with some mild stuff done to it, 3" side pipes, going to a dana 60, with 17" smoothies on front and 18"s on back with rotors all around. the car was too far gone to really get it back to stock and now it's more fun how it is anyway. this isn't my first rodeo probably won't be the last.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Skape, where is this this car located? It looks like the missile testing site from "The Hills Have Eyes" - old cars everywhere. Was the guy selling it deformed and interested in eating your intestines? :lol:

And yes, you are car crazy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMO, any old car is worth saving. It's a piece of American engineering history, and who knows how many of life's great experiences were had in that car or behind its wheel.

This one is in rough shape, though. And if the frame is bent on it, it may not be worth the grass it sits on. I'd offer no more than $800.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts