Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0k, here's the story. I have 2 cars. My 05 IBM M6 GTO daily driver and a fairly clean 1968 Corvette 327 4sp coupe. Both are very nice cars. But I'm thinking of getting rid of the Corvette and keeping the GTO as my toy and buying a semi-beater as a daily driver. I'm really torn with this decision.

Basically, I want to keep the GTO as clean as possible, because I do think they will appreciate fairly rapidly once the 06 production halts. Obviously it's going to take a while, but I don't think it's going to be 20 years before they turn around. Just my opinion. So, I'd like to keep the GTO nice. As it stands now, I can't exactly afford to buy a 3rd car, besides not really having the room for another car. Wife has hers and I have my 2. And no, this isn't an idea being pushed by her. She understands it's a tough decision and will support me either way.

But the thing is, I've owned the Corvette for almost 6 years now, and I'm kind of over it. What it boils down to is that I'm a performance freak. When I had the Bonneville as a DD, the Vette was my toy and it was fast. Now, the GTO will out perform the Vette in every single aspect, except the "coolness" factor. Don't get me wrong, I think the GTO is cool, it's just not a Corvette and won't get the stares that a vintage Vette will. But it will blow the Vette's doors off in every single aspect of driving. My biggest problems with the Corvette is that it's cramped (I'm 6' 4", and the steering wheel sits between my knees), it corners like a truck (even though I spent a lot of money putting in poly bushings, and stiff springs & shocks) and is just plain hot as hell. The only thing between the footwell and the 500º exhaust is about 1/4" of fiberglass. So, when I first got the car, I was so in love with it, that I didn't mind the discomfort and lack of performance, because it was a Vette.

So, my biggest reasons for not getting rid of the car is obviously depreciation. The Corvette will just plain hold it's value better than the GTO will. Hands down. It's already worth thousands more than I paid for it 6 years ago. Also, I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into the car (well more blood and sweat than tears). I've rebuilt the engine(bored it, cammed it, turned the crank, practically all new internals), rebuilt the front and rear suspension (everything including tie rod ends, springs, bushings, ball joints, etc), redid the interior (new seats, carpet, stereo, etc), among just tons of other things. There's hardly a bolt on that car I haven't touched at some point in it's life. So, I know it inside and out. I've made it mine. It's not stock, and I rebuilt things the way I wanted.

And I'm sure I don't have to go into the arguments for the GTO. Everyone here knows what they are. Basic benefit here is that the Vette is paid for, so selling it is 100% money in my pocket. And quite a bit, at that... So, I could mod the hell out of the GTO, plus pay cash for a beater. I'm not really looking at the GTO as an investment, it's a car that I really enjoy and want to keep for a while. I'm just torn about what to do.

Sorry to be so long winded... I could keep going, but I won't bore anymore. So, what would you guys (or gals) do? I don't mean to sound like I'm whining, because I'm not. It's a decision I'm seriously considering, otherwise the GTO gets beat to hell as a daily driver....

Thanks for your input....

Bill.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Wow; it's Deja Vu all over again!

I've got a similar problem, only my '68 is a Chevelle. Had it for 3 years and cloned it as an SS (Malibu in previous life) New paint, new interior, and sounds and looks great. You're right about the stare factor; the old muscle cars get a lot more than the new goats or even new Mustangs.

That said, it's old, it's cantankerous at times. There's no comparison in handling, brakes, or performance, and while mine probably isn't worth as much as a '68 Vette, the value has increased, and between sweat equity and the fact old muscle cars are hot as hel_ right now, I've decided to test the market this Spring, and put the Chevelle up for sale.

Personal reasons for me are mainly that we own 8 vehicles right now, and only 5 garage spaces- - -starting to look like a car lot at my house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep both and look for a cheap beater that you can make reliable. Drive the Goat until you can afford the beater. I understand the GTO is faster and better; the Vette is worth more every year and you'll kick yourself in the teeth (hmmm) everytime you remember the day you sold it. I drive a 92 Subaru for by daily (I travel a lot so actually put more miles on a rental) and the GTO is only for fun. It would be GREAT to have the GTO for a daily driver!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Iceddecaf said:
Keep both and look for a cheap beater that you can make reliable. Drive the Goat until you can afford the beater. I understand the GTO is faster and better; the Vette is worth more every year and you'll kick yourself in the teeth (hmmm) everytime you remember the day you sold it. I drive a 92 Subaru for by daily (I travel a lot so actually put more miles on a rental) and the GTO is only for fun. It would be GREAT to have the GTO for a daily driver!!
Sometime easier said than done.

One of the guys that works for me owns a '69 and he keeps it in his Mom's basement garage. It's been there for nearly 20 years! He hates driving it, but keeps it for an investment I guess.

My wife and I used our Chevelle as an "ice cream getter". It's OK for that, but in reality, I could make use of the space it takes up.

Also, another consideration is when the heat is going to go out of the old muscle car market. Right now, they are RED hot; and I'm an advocate of striking when the iron is hot. Would I miss the Chevelle? Maybe, but owning a 400HP beast like the GTO would take a lot of that sting away. The other good thing about the goat is I know I can stop it and go around turns at speed. Very scary in that Chevelle; drum brakes all around and lots of body roll.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I owned a '69 corvette for 15 years, did all the suspension and brake work, engine overhaul, etc etc. etc. If I ever had to choose between that corvette and my '05 GTO the GTO wins hands down. The vette's handling and ride was horrible compared to the GTO. I enjoyed it at first but after years of dealing with the ancient beast I was relieved to sell it and let someone else enjoy the challenges it offered. It was a beautiful car in excellant condition, just old technology and a pain in the butt to work on. I vote sell the Vette and take the money and run. Good luck with your new GTO :cheers

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
cat1055man said:
I owned a '69 corvette for 15 years, did all the suspension and brake work, engine overhaul, etc etc. etc. If I ever had to choose between that corvette and my '05 GTO the GTO wins hands down. The vette's handling and ride was horrible compared to the GTO. I enjoyed it at first but after years of dealing with the ancient beast I was relieved to sell it and let someone else enjoy the challenges it offered. It was a beautiful car in excellant condition, just old technology and a pain in the butt to work on. I vote sell the Vette and take the money and run. Good luck with your new GTO :cheers
For me, I've found old cars are like boats. They say when you buy a boat, it's the happiest day of your life. Second happiest is when you sell it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I owned a 79 Black special edition TransAm & 02 Grand prix Gt, wich was my daily driver. I sold them both fro my Gto_Once I heard of the news of no more Gto, I decided to keep it as a weekend car. I bought a truck as a daily driver. I think you should do what feels right.:cheers

·
Registered
850 Posts
Only you know what's best for you...personally, if I was in your shoes (which I'm glad I'm not!!!), I'd sell the 'vette. Why? One...you're not comfortable in driving it and it sounds like you're not going to get much use out of it. If I'm going to spend that much time and money into a vehicle like you did, I would want to enjoy it. It sounds like you can make the GTO your "fun" car. Besides, I think it will appreciate in value over time just like you said and eventually be a classic...who knows!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.