Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gran Turismo Omologato

OK, new GTO owner but have loved 'em since I new what cars were. Anyone know the translation? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kats1stGTO said:
Gran Turismo Omologato

OK, new GTO owner but have loved 'em since I new what cars were. Anyone know the translation? :rolleyes:
It stands for Grand Turisomo Omalogato,,,I believe originally an Italian term..

·
Registered
98 Posts
The first GTO's were Ferrari's. Pontiac lifted the name form them.

The term, Omologato loosely means HOMOLOGATE or HOMOLOGATION.

HOMOLOGATION= repetition of a series.

To be legal for certain racing series, vehicle manufacturer's had to make a specified number of the same model for sale to the public.

The Ferrari GTO's were manufactured to allow that vehicle to compete in GT ( or Gran Turismo ) racing series class.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Now don't jump to conclusions so quickly. I was at the POCI convention in Gettysburg PA in i think it was 1981. Jim Wangers, the father of the GTO was the keynote speaker at the dinner.

He showed us slides of what the judge was originally supposed to look like with a camaro rear spoiler etc. he told us the history of the GTO from an insiders perspective. Told us about how the Monkeemobile sold cars when Nesmith (i think it was Nesmith) got clocked at something like 150 on Sunset and GM tried to squash the story, and he sent it to every paper in the world. About how the famous GTO under the Woodward sign ad came to be.

At the end he said we all had it wrong. GTO did indeed originally come from Ferrari, but in reality it was just a box on the order form like the COPO Camaros. Internally there was a lot riding on the success of the big motor in the small car. GTO was from a memo he sent to DeLorean or the other way around, and it stood for Get Those Orders!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
GTO was from a memo he sent to DeLorean or the other way around, and it stood for Get Those Orders!![/QUOTE]

Very similar to a salesman I once knew who had the large letters GTM on the wall across from his desk above his customer's heads.

GET THE MONEY!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts