Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1971 GTO Convertible, been sitting in a large garage for the last 10 or 15 years. Motor & auto trans (probably the right ones but don't know) out of the car sitting on the floor, probably rebulit but don't know for sure. Needs a top. Body in good shape, probably original paint. Owner deceased, wife selling the car. Son is a mechanic & a hellova nice guy. Knows his cars.
This guy didn't collect junk and has several other cars in various states of restoration sitting in the garage. I have first shot at the GTO & would like to make a reasonable offer.
I'll be going to look at it in a couple of days.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey lazlo,
The fact that there were only 661 GTO Convertables built in 71, makes it a rare find.
If it is in good shape and has the original drivetrain, but needs to be put together and restrored, I'd say you'd probably be safe to offer abut $10k. If he balks at that, then your could probably go as high as $12k-13k.

That's just my opinion.

Russ

·
Registered
454 Posts
in order to give you the most accurate appraisal I will need to know EXACTLY where the car is located!!!
LOL just kidding .............but seriously you should investigate the drive train because if it is indeed a numbers matching car that will make a big difference in the value good luck I hope you get it!

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
With the engine and tranny sitting on the floor I would assume they are both shot or needing an overhaul. Even if they were rebuilt 10+ years ago the gaskets would need to be replaced and the pistons could be seized. If you were able to hear the car run an offer of $10,000 to $15,000 would not be out of line. If the numbers were correct and the car is in original condition, not butchered or rusted and in driving condition an offer of $20,000 would probably be fair.

I would offer a price taking into consideration the block may be cracked and you may be buying a car with no engine, a frame off restoration can easily pass $20,000 with you doing the majority of the work.

Look at the frame verts were common for severe rust. Refer to http://www.gtoalley.com/sevenone.html and http://www.teufert.net/ for your codes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a particular area of the frame that should be inspected? I know the area under the battery box and usually under the master cyclinder..

·
Registered
681 Posts
is there a particular area of the frame that should be inspected? I know the area under the battery box and usually under the master cyclinder..
I have always made a point to closely inspect the rear section of the frame since that is generally the area where the frame rails are smaller and more easily eaten away.
Being that this car is a convertable, it has the stronger frame on it, but you may want to look close at the areas under the back seat. I would think that area in a convertable would be susceptable to corrosion if the top had leaking issues.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
I have always made a point to closely inspect the rear section of the frame since that is generally the area where the frame rails are smaller and more easily eaten away.
Being that this car is a convertable, it has the stronger frame on it, but you may want to look close at the areas under the back seat. I would think that area in a convertable would be susceptable to corrosion if the top had leaking issues.

Russ
:agree

Since the frame was boxed under the passenger compartment they held water, get under the car with a flashlight. Usually the lower part of the frame where the rails were welded together is the first to show problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts