Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the MotorCity it's a given that our driving season (if you keep your car out of most elements) is a bit limited so try not to take on any projects on the car that will involve it being off the road for more than a few rainy days and of course any must do fix. I look at the fall/winter as time for the "To Do List". so far mine is after topping off to 3/4 tank with Torco and putting it on rollers in the barn...

To Do:
Start once a week and run up to temp (165 thermo)

1.) rewire stereo and amp and stiffen mounts (done this weekend).
2.) Replace wooden dash insert with higher quality aluminum backed one.
3.) Purchase posi unit for the series 2 12 bolt A-body rear end i got a deal on a few years ago (need to have discussion on units and gearing, narrowing).
4.) Build and install said rear end.
5.) Install new boxed or round adjustable rear end components.
6.) Flush and change oil and trans fluid, check all others.
7.) Check ALL bolts when working on any area.
8.) Replace body to frame dampeners (least favorite)
9.) Install new correct RA exhaust manifold gaskets after burning the originals to the fiberglass on the dyno (got away with the multi use layered aluminum ones when i was in a hurry to get it back on the road but have a few exhaust leaks that popped up).

I'm sure ill be asking lots of questions i have probably asked in the past as my memory is for crap since falling 30' off a roof 3 years ago.

Fell free to add your List, i envy you guys that get to enjoy your cars 10-12 months a year.

Brian

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with both of you, I’m a Michigan native as well. Happy Holidays to all here on the forum as well, love watching and reading everyone’s builds, repairs and mods.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I expect to finish my project car this winter and drive it in the spring. Took advantage of the warm sunny days to work on the top. Almost got it buttoned up but ran out of time. Will let it sit in the sun on Saturday so the fabric can relax enough to latch it down tight and then glue the side rail flaps.

Will begin assembling the engine after the top is done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Being from MN I can relate to the frozen tundra! I have the front suspension tore down and am rebuilding the front with new parts.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Last season was the interior floor along with a factory vacuum trunk release,
since the hose ran under the carpet I figured a point up was in order.

Then late in the season was the top end on the '66.

Getting ready to overhaul the PS Res and Lines.

Then going to underside for a good bit of Re-freshening up.
Lots of road grime and wear and tear from 20+ years since resto.

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Pulling the 383 out of the '61 Corvette and freshening it up. Also going to overhaul the ST-10 trans. Replace the upper control arm bushings in the '67 GTO. Install a new battery and adjust the advance curve in the '65 GTO.....and on and on!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, right now I’m currently cutting out the Michigan rusted cab corners and rockers on my 2001 GMC Sierra, deciding if I want to use the box I bought or have a flatbed installed ( hmmm ???? ) and installing a lil suspension lift as well, and hopefully getting back to restoring my 83 Honda Shadow that has been disassembled for some time now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great reply's, goes to show with anything as old as our cars even after a restoration there will always be things that you need to do, and want to do. IMHO They are not meant to just sit there unless it's a low mileage numbers correct car, and then the only fun in that is looking at it and driving it on and off the trailer at shows. Good wrenching to all, spring will be here sooner than you think.

·
Registered
602 Posts
... spring will be here sooner than you think.
Sadly you are correct. :(
This is the perfect time of year to get these cars out of the garage here in Arizona. I hope I can get my car done with enough time left to enjoy it before summer hits.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
1) Replace the rear main seal in the 66,
2) Reseal the st300 in the 66,
3) Replace the rear main seal in the 67,
4) Freshen up the engine compartments in both cars,
5) Touch up both engines with high heat blue metalic paint,

·
Registered
44 Posts
in the winter, I will shop for parts and upgrades for the spring, I rather enjoy doing the work on a nice day than freezing day, even in the garage.. winter weather at my house means time to catch up on remodeling.. so thats my project a Bathroom..

·
Registered
25 Posts
New front rotors and calipers, control arm bushings and detailing inside the trunk for me! Just hope my wife and kids read the Ames Christmas wish-list list I "accidentally" left laying around the house.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Guess I can add to this:

1965 Tempest Wagon: End carb rebuild for tripower.

1966 Tempest Convertible: Finish up 389 and drop into car/new batter cables/new springs, control arms, and struts

Slowly getting there. Got the heads on the 389 last week and I should be hanging it for the oil leak test of the rear main seal this weekend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rebuild front disc brake system not going to upgrade with anything fancy just staying with stock factory style parts. Trunk needs finishing up after new pan was installed awhile back, needs new spatter spray and a new jack instruction decal and that job can be checked off. A/C system is missing the condenser and brackets that I need to round up and get that job underway before summer, down here in the South the heat and humidity makes it tough at times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts