Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't know about the others, but I think I'd like to see Heidi Klum on my red leather seats... or maybe Karolina Kurkova, or just to keep my options open, I'd settle for Alessandra Ambrosio... or wasn't that what you were asking? :lol:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Subdriver said:
I don't know about the others, but I think I'd like to see Heidi Klum on my red leather seats... or maybe Karolina Kurkova, or just to keep my options open, I'd settle for Alessandra Ambrosio... or wasn't that what you were asking? :lol:
Great minds synchronize... :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not quite what I had in mind for the question, for the question anyway. Kind of surprised at the lack of feedback, these seats seem to be of a different leather than most american cars. My buddies mustang leather seats are sorry in comparison. However I'll keep probing for info.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
BILLYGOAT said:
Kind of surprised at the lack of feedback.
Geez, take a joke already.

Look at the leather furniture in your house. Do you smear creams or spray it with gunk every few weeks? No. Does that furniture stay in good condition? Yes.

The best thing you can do to keep your seats looking great are:

1. Prevent exposure to UV radiation -- because it will break down the pigment in the dyes and could, if severe enough, dry out the leather to the point where it cracks. Best way to do this? Keep the car in the garage or use some type of car cover when outside -- as 8, 9 or 10 hours of exposure during a weekday while you're in the office is 95% of the time, if not more, your car is going to be outside in the sun.

2. KEEP THEM CLEAN. No eating in the car. No drinking of anything but water in the car. Vacuum the seats regularly -- making sure you tilt them all the way back and using an upholstery brush to get all the dust out of the seams, etc. You can spray as much crap on your seats as you want -- but if spilled Cracker Jacks, french fries and syrupy Coke residue starts flying around every time you fart -- you're done because the thread on the stitching is going to wear out and come apart before the leather cracks.

3. To remove dust, just use a microfiber cloth sprayed with distilled water. That's all you need. Forget about all those products like Armor All -- because all they do is penetrate the surface of the leather then evaporte -- taking the protective pigments and tanning agents with them -- just so they can stick to the insides of your windows.

Happy now?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Geez, take a joke already.

Look at the leather furniture in your house. Do you smear creams or spray it with gunk every few weeks? No. Does that furniture stay in good condition? Yes.

The best thing you can do to keep your seats looking great are:

1. Prevent exposure to UV radiation -- because it will break down the pigment in the dyes and could, if severe enough, dry out the leather to the point where it cracks. Best way to do this? Keep the car in the garage or use some type of car cover when outside -- as 8, 9 or 10 hours of exposure during a weekday while you're in the office is 95% of the time, if not more, your car is going to be outside in the sun.

2. KEEP THEM CLEAN. No eating in the car. No drinking of anything but water in the car. Vacuum the seats regularly -- making sure you tilt them all the way back and using an upholstery brush to get all the dust out of the seams, etc. You can spray as much crap on your seats as you want -- but if spilled Cracker Jacks, french fries and syrupy Coke residue starts flying around every time you fart -- you're done because the thread on the stitching is going to wear out and come apart before the leather cracks.

3. To remove dust, just use a microfiber cloth sprayed with distilled water. That's all you need. Forget about all those products like Armor All -- because all they do is penetrate the surface of the leather then evaporte -- taking the protective pigments and tanning agents with them -- just so they can stick to the insides of your windows.

Happy now?
:agree :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Zaino cleaner is excellent. It cleans, and leaves nothing oily behind. Keeps the leather with the matte / semi-flat finish. Smells good too :D like "new car smell".

I haven't tried their leather conditioner yet.

I did try the Maguires (sp?) leather wipes in a bottle and it was as bad as putting armor all on it. Soaked in unevenly no matter how I did it. Re-cleaned when the Zaino got in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.