Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the GTO is truly the performance car thats talked about here....it amazes me of the "chest pounding" that goes on about beating inferior cars in a street race. With all due respect, the corvette group doesn't :cheers or :party: about smoking an Eclipse or Honda....So a vette beats the 05 'Stang.... :eek: SOOOO What?

Whats the big deal that a GTO beats a Mits Eclipse, Mustang, or the ricer that thinks his Sh** don't stink????

(Its NOT impressive to be able to beat up the smaller kid(s) in the neighborhood...thats being a bully! If you are going to "fight" , pick on someone your own size... or bigger!!!! ;) )

Too many people with fast AND slow cars want to race! Pick your spots...while being SAFE...and have fun against a vette, charger, M3, etc. Now thats a race!

·
Registered
222 Posts
DaVette said:
If the GTO is truly the performance car thats talked about here....it amazes me of the "chest pounding" that goes on about beating inferior cars in a street race. With all due respect, the corvette group doesn't :cheers or :party: about smoking an Eclipse or Honda....So a vette beats the 05 'Stang.... :eek: SOOOO What?

Whats the big deal that a GTO beats a Mits Eclipse, Mustang, or the ricer that thinks his Sh** don't stink????

(Its NOT impressive to be able to beat up the smaller kid(s) in the neighborhood...thats being a bully! If you are going to "fight" , pick on someone your own size... or bigger!!!! ;) )

Too many people with fast AND slow cars want to race! Pick your spots...while being SAFE...and have fun against a vette, charger, M3, etc. Now thats a race!
I agree somewhat and I own a GTO unlike alot of people on this forum . Of course the median age of the corvette group is probably very different than here. The safest way is to roll down your window and setup a date for your local racetrack (but how many drivers has that happened to...). It doesn't help that every car ad shows their vehicle in some racing mode on streets/roads with no other cars and driven by professional drivers. And isn't NASCAR the fastest growing Sport in the USA. Some of the attaction of any forum is that you can be who are not in real life and say whatever you feel like saying. (look at the number of members that don't put down where they live.) The Country is at WAR and the cost of living hits alot of people hard - its suprising the roads aren't like Mad MAx... oh wait I forgot I-75 and I-95 . Street Racing is part of our heritage and always relative to the price of gas...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Of course the median age of the corvette group is probably very different than here."

That very well may be true :cheers

·
Registered
565 Posts
Typical age of a vette driver would have to be 45+
A guess - typical age of a goat driver is 20+

I can say that when I had my goat, I never openly challenged any ricers or slower cars in general. However, if they started throwing me all the signs that they thought they could take me, well, I wasn't afraid to lay it on. But there is definately no way that I would go out purposely looking for a car half as fast as mine to race - that's just a waste of gas ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well for one I keep all my racing at the track, then again Im 41 so that would put me on the high end of Goat drivers but would never even consider a Vette even if it was the fastest thing on earth. Phallic symbol of a car if there ever was one. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I do not go out looking for a race. I just cannot justify the points, suspended license, and a hefty donation to the Governor. Just ain't worth it.

I know what I got, the other driver knows what I got, and I don't have to prove what the car has..... They already know.

I agree with most of what Vette says, HOWEVER.......

The few times I got it on, was because some imbecile comes up and challenges me. Whether it was the 73 nova' or riced up ricer, or the stang that was taunting me, I keep my cool.

There are times when these morons who insist on pinching you in the ass, just piss you off enough to shut them the hell up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"There are times when these morons who insist on pinching you in the ass, just piss you off enough to shut them the hell up."

I hear you....we all have moods/situations that we lose rational or common sense and decide to just kick some butt!!!

However, thats much different , IMO, than smoking a car and then bragging about it on a forum!...I guess thats my point. If your GTO comes across a mustang...blow him away! Go for it!...But why boast about it?????

The only reason I made the post was because there are LOTS and LOTS of posts like the one's I mentioned....respectively, it probably is the "age difference". I was probably the same way when I was 20ish! :lol: :cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
but would never even consider a Vette even if it was the fastest thing on earth. Phallic symbol of a car if there ever was one. "

Whats that have to do with the thread? :confused

·
Registered
590 Posts
DaVette said:
"Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
but would never even consider a Vette even if it was the fastest thing on earth. Phallic symbol of a car if there ever was one. "

Whats that have to do with the thread? :confused
modding your own threads :confused

maybe some guys just get tired of all the inferior imports, pony cars, and other "muscle" cars trying to catch a race from a car they know little about unti they have their @ss handed to them and sometimes the other way around. personally, i don't care what's lined up next to me, just how much money they have in their pocket RIGHT NOW? Usually, when you ask that they gotta go or they just turn off.

We got the woopty doo suburu guys challenged the Houston Goat Herd at Houston Raceway Park this Sunday. About 20 GTO's and a whole 10 scoobies said they'll show up. Should be fun for all even if scoobies are spraying. They're a nice import. Not a sports car, not a muscle car, just an import, imo :cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
DaVette said:

I am a vette owner and spend almost all my time on the corvette forum and have to disagree to a point. There is a decent faction of vette owners who use almost every post to thump their chest about how a "ricer tried to race me, doesn't he know american V8 will throttle him."

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would love to own a Corvette. Hopefully I can afford one in the future. The cars are a beautiful , sculpted work of art IMO. The Vette is the essance of a performace vehicle for the open road. Its not about a nice ride or cargo space or power seats and a nice radio. Its about pinning your as* to the seat and sticking to the road surface like it was wearing golf shoes. The Z06 just distills that formula down even further. If you enjoy driving the highest performing sports car why wouldnt you want one? You could get a Ford GT or and AMG S65 but at what price tag? The Vette could be in reach of the middle class guy, the Ford and Mercedes are most definatly not. Not to mention the Vette can be driven to and from work every day if thats what you want, every mile on the odo wouldnt make you wince. The Ford for sure would not be and for the AMG I wouldnt want daily driver miles on a $165,000.00 car though I am sure it would pamper you every mile. I love performace vehicles. The GTO is my second one since my 69 Chevelle. If I want to move up the performace ladder the Vette is my next stop and I will be very exited to be there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm over 40, so age has nothing to do with it. I bought a GTO to drive it. Many who buy a vette do so for investment purposes and status. I just like to drive fast and be comfortable while doing it. Why do you visit this forum anyway?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Trust us, 9 times out of 10, some hipster-dofus in a fartcan laden circus-sled finds US! Most of the time they're not worth the gas, but sometimes these punks need to be put in their place.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Pennsylvania Goat said:
Trust us, 9 times out of 10, some hipster-dofus in a fartcan laden circus sled finds US! Most of the time they're not worth the gas, but sometimes these punks need to be put in there place.
:agree

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why is all these guys that spend soooo much time in other forums have time to come over here and run their pie holes? This isn't Ellis Island and we don't have a sign out front that says " idiots from other forums welcome" to we?

This is really getting old.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts