Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the base Vett has an LS1 with 350hp and 375lb of torque. Our cars have 350hp and 365lb of torque.

Both cars have true duals and decient intakes, so is it just a matter of overall packaging or is there computer programing involved as well?

I guess I'd just like to say my '04 GTO has the same power as an '04 Vett. Kind of a mental thing I guess.

·
Registered
590 Posts
my .02

you have an LS6 intake and LS6 block !!

LS6 intake will pay off if you do forced induction or head / cam
LS6 block gives about 50% better crankcase ventilation, reducing consumption issues. LS1 blocks were made in canada, LS6 in Mexico,
You can view your block stamp, rear of engine, drivers side, you will find cast number 125611168, denoting LS6 :cool

I thought these LS1's are same as vettes and not detuned at all :confused

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Corvette has about 2.5% more ft-lbs based on the published numbers than the GTO. Its nothing to get too worked up over. In fact, the published numbers are not necessarily accurate. GM has downrated engines a lot in the past. The LS1's in the f-bodies were producing a lot more power than their published figures showed.

I guess what I am trying to get at is that I wouldn't go looking for one particular part, or area where all that power is lost, since it may not be lost at all. Its just a power deficit on paper, and there may not be any actual power deficit in the real world.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make sense but I don't know if I am ready to say ok just yet. I do know that for example my '02 SS was rated at 345 hp (lid and centermount) and I ran bone stock 12.98. I would think a true 345hp would not be good for those times, so yes GM did under rate the LS1.

But, I think there has got to be more than just paper involved when an LS1 GTO is compaired to an LS1 Vett. Computer, air intake path, exhaust, computer, something? I guess I'd like to know the little designer secrets that GM uses to turn up or turn down the power output of these motors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts