Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All....

I am new to the forum and also a new GTO owner. I have been reading forums on a few different sites and have a general question that may sound stupid, BUT.... here it goes. I see a lot of posts that mention a GTO being an A4 or M6 or M12 etc. Can someone tell me what the difference is between them? I am assuming it has something to do with transmission, but not positive. I have a 2004 Torrid Red GTO 6spd w/ Red Interior. What would mine be considered? Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you're probably only seeing two different ones...A4 and M6. A4 is 4-speed automatic transmission. M6 is the manual 6-speed. And there's no such thing as a stupid question. Everybody gotta learn somewhere. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

I thought that's what it was pertaining to but wanted to double check. The one that really screwed me up was a post with an M12 next to it. That sent my train of thought in a whole new direction. Nice car by the way.... I love black. That would have been my first choice but Red/Red is all I could get. But I'm not complaining. I went from a 2003 Mustang GT Convertible to the GTO. WOW! What a difference! That Mustang was nice but it doesnt come close to the GTO in any way, shape or form. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
M12 and MN6 are also the close-ratio six-speed manual transmission order number's used by GM for the Vette, SSR and GTO. MXO is also used for the automatic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
from a Mustang GT to a GTO??? And you love the GTO? Boy, I bet they'd hate you over at stang.net... LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been a Pontiac Fanatic since I was 11 or 12. So basically 20+ years now. I currently am restoring a 1970 GTO as well. The Mustang I had was the first "New" muscle car I have had. The only reason I bought it was because
1. The GTO wasn't out yet.
2. I got a great deal on it.
3. It is a convertible GT.

It was a demo with 5K miles on it. Black exterior, Black leather interior and Black top. It was fully loaded with every option including the Mach 1000 stereo system. I only paid 23,500 for it and sticker price was 31,892. Best time to buy a covertible is in the winter because no one wants them. Anyway... that's in the past. Now I am complete, I have both new and old Goats and couldn't be happier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts