Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing an oil change on my car and decided to check the other fluid levels as long as I had the hood open. When I pulled out the dipstick to check the coolant level, it was covered with this brown sludge. I'm quite sure it doesn't look normal, but I can't figure out what it could possibly be. Maybe someone put some bars leak or something like that into the coolant. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm probably going to have to flush and fill the radiator, but wanted to be sure that I'm not just over reacting first.

Thanks for your input....

Bill.

The pictures are both sides of the dipstick. So, this crap is on the front and back (no real shock there...)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes...I have that brown crap too, although not as much crap as you have. I checked the radiator level the other day (2500 miles) and it was very low. The only thing I could get on the plastic radiator dipstick was brown crap. Can anyone identify this crap and suggest what to do about it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had that in my old Stang, I was told it was rust, so I flushed my whole system and I was running clean soon there after.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure exactly what it is.. It's not abrasive - just slimy gunk, right?

Searching other forums about this, it sounds like it might be an additive used to stop minor leaks. Probably worth asking the Service Dept about it the next time the car is in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine has the same stuff on the coolant dipstick. I am betting it is coolant supplement / conditioner added at the factory, aluminum engine protection...my best guess:cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I drove off with my 05 GTO it only have 500miles on the dash, when I got home checked my oil and coolant. I didn't have a drop of coolant in there all I saw was that dried up gunk. Besides that how often you guys take your Goats in for service. I do not like my Pontiac dealer's service department. I was sold a vehicle with the clutch nearly burned to incapacitation. Then I was told it was my fault (driver's error) Man I was Pissed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I've seen this on numerous 05 GTO's, GM says "don't worry, it's normal" :rolleyes: ..... I don't think so. I did a cam for a customer recently and we flushed his radiator/cooling system about 6 weeks ago (his car was the first we noticed this on), same thing, it had that brown crap after 6 weeks of being flushed. I'm stumped......

·
Registered
491 Posts
vette68 said:
I was doing an oil change on my car and decided to check the other fluid levels as long as I had the hood open. When I pulled out the dipstick to check the coolant level, it was covered with this brown sludge. I'm quite sure it doesn't look normal, but I can't figure out what it could possibly be. Maybe someone put some bars leak or something like that into the coolant. Has anyone else seen anything like this? I'm probably going to have to flush and fill the radiator, but wanted to be sure that I'm not just over reacting first.

Thanks for your input....

Bill.

The pictures are both sides of the dipstick. So, this crap is on the front and back (no real shock there...)

Comes with the territory, when using Dex-Cool...you'll find it built up around intake gaskets, radiator caps, overflow tanks, radiators, etc...:(

I'm seeing that mess all over the place, right now, on a '99 Suburban intake job that I'm doing. See it all the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's more than likely the remains from when they milled the block and they didn't clean all of it out. Ford had the same problem with their 3.0L engines in the 80's. We would get one of those radiator flush kits attached to a garden hose and flush the system out until the water cleared. Drained the water, then refilled with coolant. Never had the problem return once properly cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Upon reading about the gunk on the coolant dipstick, I went out and checked mine and found it clean. I did notice the level was a little low and added some anti freeze until the holes between the arrows showed bubbles in the cut outs. I checked this 4 times and it kept coming out clean. Guess I'm a lucky one

·
Registered
8 Posts
VQ35DE said:
That "brow crap" was stop leak pellets that GM puts in at the plant to stop any small or slow leaks.
Exactly. It is ginger root and is normally added to the cooling systems in aluminum block engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man that looks like Dex-Cool degrading. Go on line for Dex-Cool and read all of the horror stories and get your system flushed ASAP. I just posted a response letter where you can replace "Death-Cool" with Peak Global coolant. There are no bad reports on Peak. Man, Good Luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's a dumb question and I'm not car stupid either but, where is this dipstick located. I couldn't see the radiator cap under the radiator cover (does this cover need to be removed?) and the only cap I see is on the overflow container which mine doesn't have that dipstick on it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
Exactly. It is ginger root and is normally added to the cooling systems in aluminum block engines.
Strange how the goo problems gets worse and worse when left unchecked, unless just about every single customer that has a few miles on their vehicles make it a practice to add stop-leak pellets to their systems every few months, which I doubt.

And with Cadillac, yes, they require stop-leak, but don't they usually always place a label near the raditor, stating that the system requires stop-leak to prevent overheating? I've never seen that sort of warning label under the hoods of Pontiac, Buick, Chevrolet, etc...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.