Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have all of 350 miles on my new GTO and as I pull into my apartment complex i go over the little dip to turn in and i hear a NASTY thunking sound from the front end, similar to me bottoming out. I'm thinking WTF, so I continue driving and go over the first speed bump in the complex and there's that sound again! I am NOT bottoming the car out, and these bump are bumps i drive over every day on my way in and out of the apartment complex. A visual inspection of the car sitting in the driveway doesnt show anything blatently wrong. there is nothing hanging from underneath the car, and everything I can see in the wheel wells, under the car, and down from inside the hood looks normal. It sounds normal when i press down on the front end and release, and it doesnt make any weird sounds when I turn the wheels. The car is still sitting straight (not leaning to one side or foward) and it feels more or less normal when I drive it, aside from the horrid sound.

Anyone else have this problem with a new car?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Locate A Build Date

Hi, I'm trying to figure out when my baby was built? Can't find a build date. I talked to the service manger and she told me the strut problems are only on G6's....What dates am I concerned with and what are the safe zone dates?

·
Registered
387 Posts
That sounds exactly like the problem I had...and it was worse if I hit even the smallest bumps while turning right or left (like idling through a parking lot).

As it turned out the receiving dealer did not remove the shipping spacers from the coil springs. My dealer removed them, and I haven't had a problem since.

The build date can be found on a stamped plate under the hood on the drivers side on the brace above the radiator...for lack of a better way to describe it.

Mine was built Nov '05.

Gerry

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey ShoddyHog,
Thanks, I'll look when she comes back from the hospital (service). The paint is flaking off on the back where GTO is, I have this weird sound coming from what I think is the passenger front tire. Oh, and when the rear defroster is turned on the radio loses all signal. Oh, and would you know what dates I should be aware of for the bad struts? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts