Pontiac GTO Forum banner
961 - 980 of 981 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Semi retired, in order from most recent ,Chef at Michelin star level, Owned several businesses and sold them (import and tourism), Project supervisor for a marine engineering firm, Linguist for the U.S. Navy.

·
Registered
67 2dr HT rustbucket
88 Posts
Pastor since 1989. Thirteen years at a church in Boston. Nineteen years at my current church outside of Boston. The church knows I'm a car guy and thinks it's cool. I even preached on how God loves to restore people using pics of the Trans Am I restored. We had fun with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hello all Lou here from NJ, as a younger guy I had a 64 tempest black and red interior automatic when I met my wife then went off to the military, I like to purchase a 64 GTO coupe as I had restored, that color combo is like a hens tooth, I did find a 64 black and black trying to verify if its real I posted trim tags info, I'm hoping some can help me thru this process thanks to all ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a Machine Maintenance Supervisor at a Large Factory a Duty Chief on a Volunteer Fire Dept Got my first Car at 13 57 Chevy 2dr Post had 3 of same at 16 had 96 cars of every kind by age 30 only 2 Fords and 2 Mopars the rest GM quit counting after that Now my Toys are 70 GTO and Big Block 55 Chevy 2dr Post

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a Machine Maintenance Supervisor at a Large Factory a Duty Chief on a Volunteer Fire Dept Got my first Car at 13 57 Chevy 2dr Post had 3 of same at 16 had 96 cars of every kind by age 30 only 2 Fords and 2 Mopars the rest GM quit counting after that Now my Toys are 70 GTO and Big Block 55 Chevy 2dr Post

·
Registered
32 Posts
63 year old Family Practice doctor in the wilds of west Texas... unfortunately with a car addiction. Current stable includes a 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 1960 Corvette, 1950 Willys wagon street rod, 2019 Ford F150 Raptor. Oh, and of course a 1971 GTO.

Reactions: michaelfind

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 4230 is a sweet machine. We just wrapped up and are testing a 4100 right now in the shop - all the goodies of the 4230 without the tuner block. While most folks read about the 2270/2285 units, I found my personal 2252B to be a keeper. Damn - I could bore you to tears with the keepers....... glad my wife tolerates my life choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thirty year retired military. They finally nudged me out of the gate at 56-1/2 in late 2006. They had locked up retirements after nine-eleven so that no one could retire for two or three years after that. I was also older because I had about a 12 year break in service between my USMC active duty & another 24 as a full-time Air National Guard KC-135R lead crew chief. I have now become one of those retirees that cannot figure out how the hell I ever got anything done when I was working. Very few will probably understand what that means. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
I do.
8 years active with three tours of Vietnam with the Seventh Fleet, 16 years broken service, then back into the Navy Reserve (Seabee Construction Electrician Chief ) for another 17 of which seven years were with Naval Special Warfare in support of the teams. Almost a year in Iraq with the 'Bees', followed by a year active duty doing project planning & estimating, then retiring after 25 years of service at 59 1/2 in 2011 as Reserve OPS Chief. I also held a full time job as a Rail Transit electrician and Project Manager.
The feeling when I retired from the Navy was the same as when I left Iraq. Running at full speed and then hitting a brick wall. It took about 6 months to get back to normal. I finally retired from working at 66 after 50+ years in the workforce and now every day is "Saturday' lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spent a year on the ground with the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam & another 7 months after out at Pendleton. Then about 12 years racing stock cars & riding Harleys which, here in the midwest, can be code for drunk. And with me it was to the extreme. When I finally sobered up, when my first wife divorced me, I was lucky enough to bump into an Air National Guard recruiter & ended up on the flight line. I was a ground guy, not in the Wing in the Corps. But I must have done something that they liked as they kept me on temp AGR for two years until an opening came up to hire me full-time. That quickly became a really busy job after nine-eleven. I was in an out of the middle east so much that I had to wince when I heard someone once identify the call to prayer as the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. And I can most certainly identify with your analogy of leaving a combat zone & retiring. For me everyday is a Saturday in the sense that I am so busy that I feel like I would not have the time to work an eight hour day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. Sixtydriver here. Or JD. I spent 28 years in the Army flying Black Hawks as a Maintenance Test Pilot. Multiple trips across the pond. I swear I'm still finding sand 10 years later. Retired in 14 and still work for Uncle Sugar as a contractor in Alabama. I've wanted a GTO since the first time I saw a 66 or 67 model at a stoplight when I was about nine years old. It was painted every color of primer that was available at the time and was running so rich the entire stoplight line was in danger of passing out. Light turned green and my dude absolutely boiled the tires getting out of there. My Dad, (Infantry LTC) remarked that he was a "GD Hippy". That sold it for me. 45 or so years later (picked it up 2 Aug 2022) I have mine and all is good. Happy to be here.

961 - 980 of 981 Posts