Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Need your input.

My current 4 seat ride is running out of juice and I'm looking for to replace it. I test drove a Dodge Charger RT, Ford Mustang GT and the GTO. Now I have to decide and will probably buy one of these cars this weekend. I liked them all, but the Charger the least, the Mustang next and the GTO the best.

I know since I'm asking on this board that you'll point me at GTO. But some honest criticism, good or bad would be great. I would be using the back seat for a 12 yo boy and a 7 yo girl. Lots of their junk (soccer, skatepark, baseball..) would have to go into the trunk. Was a little stunned by the small size of the trunk on a car this size. I would be getting the 6 speed, black/red. I am familiar with the drivetrain because I own a vette C6. You can find me on the vette forum with the same user name.

What do you think a fair deal is now?

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought mine about a month ago - live in NJ (the land of dealer markup). Mustang GT's go at premiums of up to $10k over sticker (if you can find one). I did not seriously look at the Charger / Magnum / 300 after renting a 300 during the summer and realizing my kids (ages 8 and 10) could not see out the windows due to the high door sills.

My car is an automatic - listed for $34,295

My bill of sale tells me I paid $33,200 for the GOAT - but the dealer gave me full value for my trade :D nearly a grand over it's dealer trade value per Kelly Blue Book (for a car in excellent condition)!! The dealership manager told me he has only discounted 2 GTOs this year - they teach that line in car dealer school to make the customer feel good.

Bottom line I was looking to pay $32,500 without the trade-in.

The trunk in the GTO is SMALL - and the hinges swing into the trunk eating up space.

Hope that helps - Good luck!! Get the GOAT :party:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hate to say it but I would go for the Charger R/T .I had a 1996 MonteCarlo Z34 when my kids were that age and a 2door is a pain in the butt when you are hauling all that sports stuff.The GTO is a great car but that trunk is so damn small

·
Registered
410 Posts
As much as the GTO trunk is small - I've not run into a problem with its use. My son plays soccer and I would pick up him and a neighbor's son after school. Their soccer bags would fit in the trunk and off we would go. They are 16 and over 6-foot so they have to run the seat forward using the electric motor to get in and out of the back seat. This takes a few seconds to do - something the other cars don't have to but has not bothered me once. Your kids being younger may be able to pop in and out without having to move the seat forward. My wife and I go away for the weekend and there is enough room in the trunk for our stuff.

One thing I've found with the car is that, because I love it so much, it has been interesting to see myself so easily accept features that would irritate me in other vehicles, e.g., center window buttons, all doors have to be shut to lock the vehicle, seats have to move forward for people to access the back, on-off button with off to the right. I find I actually enjoy the Aussie subtleties.

Have fun deciding. This GTO is the best vehicle I've every owned and it has captured my attention so much I want to learn everything I can about it!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I traded in a 2003 Intrepid on my 04 GTO. I have two boys (8 and 13) and they love it. My Wife has a sedan so we just use her car for hauling around town. It's my daily driver and my drive to and from work is fun every day. Just decide what you need. I looked at the Mustang as well, but the backseat was non existent and the styling was just a revamp of the same old thing, IMO. It was easier for me to rationalize all the reasons to get it, rather than reasons not to. It's by far the best car I've ever owned!! Hope this helps and good luck!!! :cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Based on what you are saying about needing trunk space and having to use the back seat as an extra trunk. I don't think the GTO is what you need right now.

Get a 4 door, with some trunk space. And down the road pick up a GTO when you can enjoy it and not have to worry about stuffing the kids and all their stuff in it.
JMO, but comfort saves alot of stress with kids!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
flaskier99 said:
Hey everyone. Need your input.

My current 4 seat ride is running out of juice and I'm looking for to replace it. I test drove a Dodge Charger RT, Ford Mustang GT and the GTO. Now I have to decide and will probably buy one of these cars this weekend. I liked them all, but the Charger the least, the Mustang next and the GTO the best.

I know since I'm asking on this board that you'll point me at GTO. But some honest criticism, good or bad would be great. I would be using the back seat for a 12 yo boy and a 7 yo girl. Lots of their junk (soccer, skatepark, baseball..) would have to go into the trunk. Was a little stunned by the small size of the trunk on a car this size. I would be getting the 6 speed, black/red. I am familiar with the drivetrain because I own a vette C6. You can find me on the vette forum with the same user name.

What do you think a fair deal is now?

Thanks alot.

I've got almost the same situation as yourself. Two boys 13 and 7. Both are soccer players. The GTO is fine for that sort of thing. Now if your kids play hockey and you need to carry equipment bags and sticks, a GTO won't work.

The GTO trunk is actually not bad. I've been amazed at what I can cram in there on a trip to Lowes.

Needless to point out, a full size sedan like the 300C has four doors for easy access and a big trunk with fold down rear seats for better utility. I just couldn't get past the poor interior materials and of course you're stuck with the autostick gearbox.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I opted for the GTO over the Vette (in case I ever have to pick-up the kids) the 4 seater is nice. Then I got the Quad Cab Dodge 4x4 for the wife (she is a stay at home mom who hauls the kids around). Plus the pick-up bed isa nice for hauling stuff. Only reason I had to buy 2 cars, was my job changed so I had to give up my company car a Grand Prix GT and my Chevy Blazer was getting too small with the kids growing.... So I bought 2 cars in the same month.

If you already have the vette, I would look at a Tahoe/Suburban or a 4-door truck.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help

I relooked at the Charger and GTO yesterday. Charger meets my needs the most but the look, feel and quality of the interior just does not meet my standards. The exterior is not bad but I just could not get over the poor, IMO, interior.

GTO is the car I would enjoy most and like the most. I do most of the kid hauling stuff. My wife drives the vette. With the GTO I would not feel cheated when I make that monthly payment but I'm afraid it's not going to do the kid hauling thing very well.

Neither my wife or I are SUV/mini van people. No offense to anyone that owns/drives one but we can't see ourselves in one. When I was in high school, I owned a '67 Olds 442. That car would be the perfect car for my needs today, but the days of having multiple choices in this category are gone.

So it's back to the drawing board.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
NT91 said:
Get the Mustang it is cool..........
Oh yeah, let's see, he's expressed concerns about cargo room on the GTO and interior quality on the Charger. The Mustake would definitely satisfy those concerns. The wicked cool "gotta have it" styling would not really look like a good decision six months into the deal if the car truly doesn't suit your needs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You know what. Given this some more thought and my suggestion would be to Buy The GTO. And pick up a used Taurus or something similiar to transport the kids with all their crap when it's needed.
Heck you can pick something up decent for $3-4k and save your GTO from all the wear and tear!

:cheers

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
GOTPWR said:
You know what. Given this some more thought and my suggestion would be to Buy The GTO. And pick up a used Taurus or something similiar to transport the kids with all their crap when it's needed.
Heck you can pick something up decent for $3-4k and save your GTO from all the wear and tear!

:cheers
:cheers :agree soooo true

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.