Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have to take my car back to the dealership now for the 3rd time ,for a alignment... The steering wheel is off center(very annoying) to the left when im driving straight, normally tell on the highway....Hate to be anal bout this car, isnt this part of the alignment service though? ARE THEY BEING LAZY? OR WHAT....... 05 GTO Autocross p.s They also rotated the tires AFTER they performed the alignment.. huh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

was talkin about the steering wheel being straight inside the car .... tire location ? what are u talkin about? an alignment uknow... I thought making the wheel straight was part of the alignment service,along with rotating the tires BEFORE the actual alignment...... please dont confuse me.....

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Sorry. Wasn't trying to be confusing. Of course the steering wheel should be straight when the alignment is done. If your a large person it could throw the steering wheel off slightly, that's why the suggestion of having it done with you in the car. If you're of normal weight it shouldn't be an issue.
You said: "They also rotated the tires AFTER they performed the alignment.. huh?"

That's were the 'tire location' comes in, it shouldn't matter if they rotated the tires before the alignment or after the alignment. The alignment is done with the suspension components, not the tires. The only thing the tires have to do with the alignment is the heads attach to the rims.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kool beans thanks

As far as the rotation is concerend..All I know is I brought
the car in for an alignment.. It drifted to the right.. Got the car back, it was worse , drifted more to the right.. Told the service guy , they brought the car back to the service man..He said that he had put the alignment to specs,
THEN rotated the tires... He put the tires back , and the car was fine... except now for the off center wheel lololol.... Like I told one of the other moderator s .. I hate to be anal about this car, but I think it deserves it!!!!! THANKS AGAIN.... ment no disrespect, just trying to get answers....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you have tires that aren't wearing even they could cause a pull even with the alignment being correct. Thats caused by faulty suspension pieces. Usually bushings. Some half ass shops just want to get it in and out and short hit on checking suspension components and just align it. This is a band aid fix and the problem still exists. You could also have a slightly shifted belt in a tire that will make it do some wacky things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts