Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you expert bodymen out there, please help us to properly align and install the LS outer wheelwell on my '67. First, it does appear the forward half of the lip must go behind the inner panel, rather than in front of it, as (improperly) shown in the first picture.

However, although installing the lip behind that inner panel will shift the wheelwell back slightly, note how in the second picture it would appear the wheelwell needs to move considerably farther back (about an inch!?)

However, also in the second picture it appears with the 'well sitting too far forward as it is now, it regardless appears to be fitting properly against the backside of the rocker panel. Moving it back, to be properly fitted adjacent to the inner wheelwell would appear to have it improperly placed relative to the rocker panel. ??????

Insight, please?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Which way was the original before you took it off ?

For now I would put it on the way the old one was, at this point to save yourself some heart ache down the road ,screw the well in place with some self tapping sheetmetal screws for now. Set your quarter panel in place holding it with some vise grips. Now you should be able to see where you want to place the wheel well.
Whether that lip is going to be on the inside or outside of the inner panel to me don't matter as much as getting that wheel well to partner up with the quarter.
If you can, install the fender and door on that side also, this will help with proper alignment of quarter.

You got to remember, you are working with aftermaket parts. :eek: Ain't no how, no way they are going to fit like OEM parts without a bunch of cussing,tweeking and cheating. :D

Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts