Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Ozzhead said:
As you know im a new GTO owner. Ive got about 600miles on it so far. Ive startin pushin it harder now nothing extreme though. When would you guys say its broken in all the way?

Dennis
The manual says 500 miles.... I think it depends on how you drive it, not so much the miles. You should be out of the baby it zone with 600 on it. Broken in all the way? hmmmmm, Personally, I'd give it 1000-1500 miles and an oil change before you start ripping her.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i got my car with 4 miles on it. it is leased. mine was broken in the minute i left the dealers lot.

seriously, i go easy on the car the first thousand miles and change the oil at about 1000. i changed it on the gto at 1700 because it is leased.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine was bought with 23 miles on it, had it's first race with about 27 miles and at the local street races with 120 miles on it. Has 7600 miles on it now, makes over 600 hp (546 whp), does not burn a drop of oil and has awesome compression and leak down numbers. I have never (for my own reasons and experience) "broken in" a motor (aside from flat cam break in) and have had zero issues with any motor I have ever built or car I have owned due to improper "break in".

So with break in, it is pretty much what you personally feel comfortable with- with the exception of babying it too much and having the rings not seat properly.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.