Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm building a 400 stroker for my 70 conv and I have a question on where exactly do these water pump sleeve things go. Do they go directly into the timing chain cover and then the divider plate and water pump go over them or do they go between the water pump and divider plate? thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Guys,

I'm building a 400 stroker for my 70 conv and I have a question on where exactly do these water pump sleeve things go. Do they go directly into the timing chain cover and then the divider plate and water pump go over them or do they go between the water pump and divider plate? thanks for your help.

Mike
This image shows where they go. One is inserted already, the other is not.

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you tell me where these rubber seals go? Are they supposed to be used with the sleeves in some way? I put the sleeves in and mounted the water pump then discovered these in the gasket kit. Not sure what they’re for. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
bummer

I asked you about those if you had new ones in the sleeves ....

also did you clearance the pump impeller to the plate ?

and do you have a tin or cast impeller ....

tin ones dont cool very well

many cast impellers have been topped and the tops shaved after rebuilds
and dont cool welll also

those go inside the sleeve and mate to the holes in the divider plate .......

Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. Def a bummer but no biggee. I’ll just have to pull the water pump off. I thought the seals you spoke of were actually in the sleeves so since they were new I thought I was covered. The water pump is a perf after market and it has a cast impeller. The divider plate is by Tin Indian I think it’s steel. I checked the clearance of the plate prior to install and it was good. Two steps forward one step back. 😬

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I’m def a dummy. I just pulled the WP off and the seals are in there. I mentioned that the sleeves were new I guess when you buy them they come with new seals inserted but when I got the gasket kit it had them in there too. 😡 oh well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts