Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,230 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a NEW Muncie M20 or M22 4 speed, one with a super case, new gears, billet mid plate etc... From experience, can anyone recommend a shop?
They cost as much as Tremecs now, but there are a few very good shops that rebuild them. If others dont chime in, I'll dig further. I completed the research last year, but then went with the Tremec.

·
Premium Member
1966 tri power GTO project. Eats cash, like a horse eats hay.
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should've bought one a few years ago when I was first looking at them at Super661, like everything else, they've gotten more expensive. I'll check out Mikey V's to see what he has. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I'm wanting to buy a NEW Muncie M20 or M22 4 speed, one with a super case, new gears, billet mid plate etc... From experience, can anyone recommend a shop?
If you don't mind the whine from the straight cut gears, the M22 sound is almost iconic. Anyone who knows muscle cars knows the sound of an M22 blind folded. Listen to a couple on You Tube and you will undertand.

I considered a new M22 for my build but when I compared it to the TKO-600, the TKO was just a few hundred dollars more, better gearing and I got the .64 OD so I could use some 3.90 gears out back. It'll take a little more work to fit the TKO and shorten the driveshaft, mod the floor pan a bit, but in the long run, I think it worth it. The TKX is even an easier swap.

But, the Muncie would be a bolt-in, so there is saving there as well. So it boils down to preference, budget, and what you yourself can do to save money. Again, M22 is what I would go with for a local cruising around town car over a highway crusier.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're right, the M22W is little more $$$ than the M20, but I'd say it be worth it. I'm not wanting to mod anything on the car, just looking for a plug / play muncie, something cheaper and easier to install than a 5 speed conversion. I always get a laugh when I read ad after ad of muscle cars for sale, they ALL seem to have the M22 "rock crusher" and we know they don't! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I've been snooping around the Auto Gear website, seems they run specials once in a while, if I can't get one from Paul C. at Super 661, I'll be ordering from Auto Gear. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I've been snooping around the Auto Gear website, seems they run specials once in a while, if I can't get one from Paul C. at Super 661, I'll be ordering from Auto Gear. Thanks!
Well I heard from Paul C. today, he said:
New message from: 5speedscom (6,711GREEN_STAR Star)
No I am not building units to order since good parts are not easily sourced. Whatever I do build will be for sale on my website

Thanks,
Paul Cangialosi
What a bummer, he's one of, if not the best builder of manual transmissions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I swapped the turbo 400 in my '68 for a brand new M22 direct from the source, Auto Gear Equipment in Syracuse NY. ( autogear.net ). They were great to work with and you can also pick your gearing if you want something other than stock.
I did the same thing when we built our 1969 GTO with a 461 (needed a stronger 4 speed with the big torque motor)...I'll never spend a bunch of money on a Muncie again when I can get a new stronger perfect fit Auto Gear transmission . Everyone owes it to themselves to look at their offerings (Auto Gear), you will be amazed at their transmissions and especially the price! They even look like a Muncie.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I talked with several transmission builders and Jeff at Midwest Muncie gave me the best price on a Super Case M22 at $2849 plus shipping, unfortunately, it's not in the budget this year, I'll have to wait. I should've bought one 2 years ago at $2200, but I'll probably wait till they get to $3500 and buy then, shouldn't be a long wait?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts