Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys need some help, this might of been already posted.
Whats better a custom tune or a hand held tuner? Which one do you get more out of.
Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
317 Posts
$$$ not being an object... a custom tune. No 2 cars are alike, and hence a custom tune will ensure a safe, well performing vehicle.

Handheld tuners are great if you're not planning on making serious power, or are aggressive on your tune. The fact that they're about $300-$400 doesn't hurt either.

Custom Tunes can go from $400-$1,000 depending on the setup and tune required.

Also, custom tunes will always net more HP with a competent tuner. It won't be double or some astronomical amount, but 15-35 hp differences aren't unusual.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
$$$ not being an object... a custom tune. No 2 cars are alike, and hence a custom tune will ensure a safe, well performing vehicle.

Handheld tuners are great if you're not planning on making serious power, or are aggressive on your tune. The fact that they're about $300-$400 doesn't hurt either.

Custom Tunes can go from $400-$1,000 depending on the setup and tune required.

Also, custom tunes will always net more HP with a competent tuner. It won't be double or some astronomical amount, but 15-35 hp differences aren't unusual.
:agree Also - if you get into heavy stuff like cams, heads, turbos, SC's and the like a custom tune is always the best approach for performane and engine longevity...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im thinking about getting a cam installed. Money is no problem and yes im looking for more hp. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i just went to the shop to see how much for getting it installed. (Cam, Pushrods, and Spring Kit.) Total $650, is that a good price really dont know about this and im really looking in to getting a custom tune better.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So guys is it a good price $650 for the cam, pushrods, and spring kit installed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah he is reusing the same old lifters. This price is just to get it installed. Parts not included.

I called texas speed and they said i wouldnt need the lifters that i could use the same ones is that correct.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
You don't need lifters, your good with the stock ones. I don't know the going rate to have things installed, because I do my own work. Does this price include a tune? If not it might be about right for install and tune around $1100ish.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can this be done a custom tune using superchips hand held would i get good results on it and is it better than going to a local speed shop and have there software installed like hp tuners? Im kind of:confused

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can this be done a custom tune using superchips hand held would i get good results on it and is it better than going to a local speed shop and have there software installed like hp tuners? Im kind of:confused

Well, I have a DiabloSport Predator, and am highly satisfied with it. Although, I have been working with one of their CMR certified tuners to assist me in tuning my car. My car is stock except for the exhaust. The CMR tuners use software that is similar to HP tuners, and can do the same stuff. The good thing about a handheld is that you can return it to stock in a matter of minutes if you have to take it in to the dealer for service. After you get the car back, you can load your custom tune right back in. Plus you can diagnose DTCs with it also, should you have one crop up.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah but can you get this hand held tune and do a custom tune (like the one they charge $500) at the same time to get better results. I dont know how to put this but example you go to speed inc shop and get there custom tune for $500 but now you want to use your software super chips do you see more results than just getting a regular custom tune with no hand held. I hope yous guys understand what im trying to say.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i think i could put it in better words its like if i buy a super chips and take it in to super chip tuner and have them do it while there doing a custom tune will i see more results than just getting a regular dyno custom tune. I hope this makes more sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can get a dyno tune with a diablo tuner say, which is good for the simple reason that if needed you can convert the custom tune back to stock so fourth, unlike a regular dyno tune were once its tuned its tuned and you have to bring it back to the tuner to make adjustment ect.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah i have been thinking about it alot and i am going off better with a hand held tuner cause it is true what if i need to change it back to stock or anything else.
I see your from the city by where are you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah i have been thinking about it alot and i am going off better with a hand held tuner cause it is true what if i need to change it back to stock or anything else.
I see your from the city by where are you?
Right By Milwaukee and Devon

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats kool im close to the Indiana border. Hey im starting a gto club you think you might be intersted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts