Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 69 GTO that comes with 14x6 wheels and redline tires. While I think they look really good, I'd like to put some 15x8 (rear) and 15x7 (front) but was wondering what is the best size tires for this setup with no rubbing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
JS,
I asked the same questions a few weeks ago on a another thread for my 69', I figured 68' and 69' should be the same as they share front end sheetmetal. Every car can be slightly different, depending on front clip assy, etc. My front sheet metal is all repo Dynacorn, fenders, wheelhouses, hood.

http://www.gtoforum.com/f12/tires-68-gto-66521/

I have 15" x 7", 4" BS all around, I went with 255/60/15 Rear, and 235/60/15 Front, Cooper Cobra Radial GT.

The rears are fine, plenty of room

Turns out I DO have a very slight tire rub on front drivers side with the 235/60/15 when i'm turning hard left. I can't figure out why only one side, the other side I have about .250" clearance in same spot with wheel turned similarly. Reasons i'm looking at; I had the body off the frame 2 years ago to do my restoration, and I may have set the body slightly off center, or upon reassembly of my front clip slightly off center, also I installed aftermarket tubular upper control arms so I am looking at decreasing the caster today on that drivers side to see if it changes things. The rub is very minimal and I think would go away on its own if the tire wears even .050", but right now I am considering selling these front tires as used/new condition and buying two 215/65/R15 to be safe.

CPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! This is helps a lot. After reading through that thread and seeing the issues you had, I might play it safe and go with a 215/65/15 as well.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind, I decided to go with the 235/60/15 on the front and I hope that it was just isolated incidents with yours rubbing.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the 235/60 and 255/60 mounted on the 15x7's, just waiting for the car to arrive so I can see how well they fit. Fingers crossed the the 235's don't rub any.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, yeah I'll be sure and post pics once they are installed and give any negative feedback I find. Hopefully there won't be any.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On a 1969, would 235-15 tires fit OK the front with a 15X8 wheel with 4.5" backspace?

And what about 275-15 tires on the back with those same wheels?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Be aware of the front brake line hose,did not know mine was rubbing when I went from 70s to 60s. Turn the wheel from side to side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts