Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when im accelerating usually from 1st to 3rd gear the car makes a whining noise. It stops when i release the gas pedal and it does not do it when im in 5th or 6th gear or idling. I have a k&n cai and im thinking it could possibly be that, but i never heard this noise before...any suggestions on what it could be?

·
Registered
336 Posts
when you say you've never heard it before you mean your car used to not make that sound or that you havent heard it on any car? also does it make the sound if you are parked and rev the engine? your car may have a throttle body spacer on it and they will make it almost sound as if it has a turbo.. if you do have one i would recomend takin it of because they suck i got one for my car and it decreased low end power!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
ya it could be the tranny but i dont think it would be the rear end because you would still hear it in sixth gear too because mine whines and sixth is when i hear it most

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have K&N intake and there's a definite whistle under certain rpm/loads. Almost sounds like a 'turbo'-y whine.
I love that sound btw.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
You're describing rear end whine.... Car out of warranty? Still take it to the dealer and have them look at it they may be able to help you out. They can, question is will they? This was a major issue over the years. The first step would be to replace the oil and add new F.M. but this won't help but its procedure. The longevity of the rear with the whine was a concern.

The rear end is not a GM part thats why they were replaced and not rebuilt. Dana was responsible for this. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're describing rear end whine.... Car out of warranty? Still take it to the dealer and have them look at it they may be able to help you out. They can, question is will they? This was a major issue over the years. The first step would be to replace the oil and add new F.M. but this won't help but its procedure. The longevity of the rear with the whine was a concern.

The rear end is not a GM part thats why they were replaced and not rebuilt. Dana was responsible for this. Good Luck
The only problem with that was that I purchased this car from a private seller....so i dont have a dealer to go back to lol so wat would be the thing to do considering i cant go back to a dealer? Also it seems the whine comes from the front of the car not the rear though? Thanks GTO Judge

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you check your power steering fluid?

"Is that a supercharger boy, or is your power steering pump on the fritz?" :lol:
ill check when i get out of work today but i dont think its that considering the carmakes the noise when accelerating not necessarily turning

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Its probably the trans or diff... mine whines a little too, but that's normal to me after driving a car with a straight-cut Muncie for years.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its probably the trans or diff... mine whines a little too, but that's normal to me after driving a car with a straight-cut Muncie for years.
well it seems to be the transmission since the noise comes from the front of the car...i never heard it before and within the last 2 weeks or so it has been doing it...any idea watt could be causing it? Like i said it only happens when im accelerating through the third gear....once i put it in 4th and on and im cruising it doesnt do it anymore

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
ill check when i get out of work today but i dont think its that considering the carmakes the noise when accelerating not necessarily turning
If its whining/howling during accel/steady state and not decel it could be the diff. That usally means the gears are worn. Most of our diffs wasn't setup right from the factory. Diffs sometime resonate through the car so it could come from the rear, but its hard to diagnose without knowing what your looking for. Mine has a faint howl in 5th 45-60mph.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine does the same thing...in my case it is the k&n filter....you can hear it in 1st-3rd but stops when i let off of the gas

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mine does the same thing...in my case it is the k&n filter....you can hear it in 1st-3rd but stops when i let off of the gas
yea thats exactly what i thought, but i dont recall it making that noise when i first bought it and it had the k&n cai in it already...is the noise your talking about a distinct whine?...like it almost sounds like a supercahrger? lol and its pretty loud, loud enough that you hear it big time with the windows up, but when their down, my exhaust kinda over powers it :lol:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ill see if i get a video up of it today...and then you guys can hear it and try and see what you think it is exactly

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Did you check your power steering fluid?

"Is that a supercharger boy, or is your power steering pump on the fritz?" :lol:
If the power steering fluid was low or the pump was going on the fritz, you will hear it by just sitting still and moving the steering wheel back and forth....

·
Registered
336 Posts
on the throttle body spacer.. i would have to say it was a butt dyno. but it was Pretty significant. when i was drivin to cedar city ut every weekend while coming up the mountain i would just be in 5th and around 1-2000 rpm and after i put in the throttle body spacer i would have to shift down to 4th and be around 3000 to have any power it drove me crazy so i took it off and it was 5th gear all the way

1 - 20 of 31 Posts