Pontiac GTO Forum banner

whining sound??

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mumrah 
#1 ·
I notice on my car that starting about 50 mph there is a low whine that increases with engine speed until about 65ish or so. After the throttle is let off, it goes away. Is this normal? I believe it is coming from the transmission.

#3 · (Edited)
I used to have the same problem, it is NOT normal, after reading many discussions on this in this forum web site, I talked to my dealer and he ended up replacing my rear end and the whining noise is gone. My concern is will it return with the new rear end since my first one didn't start whining until I had around 1600 miles on it, (currently have 1200 miles on the new one). I asked the dealer what the root cause was, he didn't know. He said there have been enough complants that GM will replace them within the warrenty period. So hopefully GM knows what the root cause is and is properly implementing the design or manufacturing fix in the replacements.

#5 ·
PhantomGTO said:
Actually, it's an auto.
Someone at another forum is having the same problem. I don't think anyone has answered what the problem is though.

Anyway, whining from an A/T could very well be a differential issue. It may be something as simple as low fluid in the rear end or something as bad as the rearend gears not meshing due to improper yoke install. If the sound goes away at coasting, I am thinking it is the latter of the two. Either way, it would be best to have the dealer look at it. The tranny itself wouldn’t be making the noise, but the noise from the rearend will travel.

#6 · (Edited)
Auto? Nope, that definitely is not normal. Thought you had the M6 with possibly a shift kit and were reacting to gear noise entering the cockpit through the boot.

I put a shift kit on my M6 -- and get a little transmission noise. Has done it in every manual car I've had whenever a shift kit has been installed because a lot of the factory units have rubber insulators to keep the noise down while the shift kits do not.

Can't hurt to run it by the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.