Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether doing this modification is actually worth it. I know there are pretty decent power gains to be had, I guess I'm just wondering a few questions.

How much does this cost for installation at the GM dealership? (I assume to keep the current warranty, you are required to have the dealership install the heads/cam)

Are you required to buy all of the parts needed brand new from the dealership?

How much was the total bill for installation, and parts?

THanks all, anyone with any info on this, please chime in!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would just go with the afr 205 heads with a 224/228 cam... around 450 hp with a few extra bolt-ons and you have yourself one hell of a car

Oh yeah and as soon as you take the heads off say bye bye to your warranty

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard others say they've had the conversion done for anywhere from $3000 to $4500 from their dealerships (dealership was willing to keep warranty on it). Or you could do it yourself for just the cost of the kit $1700, but chances are you would destroy your warranty.

Bang for the buck it's a pretty lousy gain. You're looking at S/C or turbo prices for about 40-50hp...pretty steep.

If you've got your heart set on a H/C swap, I have to agree with Redline...AFR makes the best heads out there. Using a mild cam would keep it very "streetable".

Good luck.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:cheers go for the H.O. ati procharger,it is self contained[no hole in oil pan] and comes with a inner cooler, and is 4500 shipped to you door as a complete kit. and if you blow your motor you can unbolt it in 5 hours or less and plead ignorance. try that with a head and cam swap. also procharger is giving you about 175 rwhp and thats alot of bang for the buck for 50 state emission legal system, that you could remove without a trace in a half a day.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:D :D
flht3 said:
go for the H.O. ati procharger,it is self contained[NO hole in oil pan] and comes with a inner cooler, and is 4500 shipped to your door as a complete kit. and if you blow your motor you can unbolt it in 5 hours or less and plead ignorance. try that with a head and cam swap. also procharger is giving you about 175 rwhp and thats alot of bang for the buck for 50 state emission legal system, that you could remove without a trace in a half a day.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Although it is true that AFR makes very good heads i wouldn't consider them the best... If I were to choose the best heads i would go for the cartek stage 5-X heads which flow probably around 360-370 CFM on the intake side and then do there 5-X cam, but that is for strokers, the 3-X package is for a 346 with similar heads (smaller valves) and a smaller cam can put out around 500 rwhp NA on a stock bottom end and also be streetable... In C5s they are now running 10.5 @130 with H/C and boltons in a Z06 with a race weight of around 3300... With a GTO i would imagine 10.7 @ 127 just becasue the weight... You really cant go wrong with either choice so :cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
i recomended the procharger in the afore mentioned post but i was just wondering if you guys have driven a 500+ rwhp cars... man you take the traction off and you realy have something that could jump up an bite you in the ass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts