Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who here will buy or sell GTO when gas prices get to $3 gallon

Been reading some stuff in the news that gas prices might get to $3 gallon. For those of you on this forum wanting to get a GTO, who is going to wait till they get so high in gas prices that people will sell them low? And, how drastic would it be for GTO prices if gas prices got that high? Also, for any present of future GTO owner, is the future gas prices going to affect whether you keep your car or not? Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well for me the Goat gets better gas mileage than my daily driver. My Sierra gets 14 - 15 mpg, so for me doesn't change much at all. Just means fewer joy rides I guess. I won't be getting rid of either one. Maybe I'll start commuting on my 4 wheeler!!! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
My question is who the hell buy's a muscle car for the gas milage?
I think that's the key. With Pontiac learning their lesson with the 04, they are not going to put themselves in the position to have excess inventory. Thus, don't count on bigger incentives.

Plus Gray-Goat is right. The GTO gets good gas mileage relative to other vehicles on the road. If you keep your foot out of it and stop playing tunes on the great sounding exhaust, it gets very good gas mileage. I have two Volvos and a Yukon XL. The Yukon gets 19 on the highway, the Volvos 24, and the GTO 26+!

·
Registered
364 Posts
If gas prices get too high I will just put a lawnmower engine in and get 50mpg. :rofl:
Be serious this is high performance not economy. Who buys a car with a 6liter engine thinking that it will be economical? This has to be the worst thread ever started.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got 25 mpg average in a 400 mile trip in my Z06. The GTO gets about 24+/- mpg for the same trip. You'll never see me in a Prius!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I must admit that gas pricies are starting to be an issue with me. When I bought the GTO, I was working 70 high-speed miles from home, and averaged ~22mpg. This new job, which is 115 miles from home, has a higher climb both in and out of work and some traffic issues in the last 25 miles or so... thus knocking my average mileage to 19.5mpg.

Dropping $31 per day on gas alone (at todays prices) has started to annoy me.

I've analyzed the situation using what fuel costs now......getting only 7-8 more mpg would save me ~$10/day. That's nearly $2400/year-- a not insubstantial chunk of change! My short term "solution" is to break up the commute a bit...later this year I plan on buying a used motorcycle, probably a Triumph Trophy / Sprint ST or possibly a BMW R1100RT. This will help, but let's face it...it's mainly for maintaining sanity and having a bit of fun rather than for reasons of frugality. In the winter it's not even an option.

I have a strong feeling that late next year, (at which time the GTO will have ~120k on the odo) I'll be (sadly) swapping the Holden in for a more frugal bit of freeway fun, like a VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX-S, or MINI Cooper S.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Filled up last night for 41 bucks. Was thinking what a drag that was -- remembering that when premium was 99 cents the tab would have been 16 -- until realizing that gas over in Australia goes for around a buck and a half a liter -- which is roughly $6 a gallon. In the UK, the price is closer to $2 liter.

That said, gas will be $3 a gallon in California within a month or two. As long as crude's a $60 a barrel. I'm getting around 20 mpg city/hwy combo driving -- and that is mind-blowing for a car of this potential. My friends with their puny 6-banger BMWs and Benzes aren't even getting that.

About the only thing we can do is be smart about consumption. Combine trips. Drive smoothly. And hope the Chinese don't buy Unocal so they can suck Alaska dry.

In reality, though, prices will come back down. Might take a year or two, but the Canadians are able to extract a barrel of oil from the Athabasca sands for around $18 now -- and they have more reserves than the Saudis. There are PLENTY of hydrocarbons around -- the problem is the Wall Street geeks are speculating on everything -- just like Nelson Bunker Hunt was able to drive silver from $5 an ounce to $50 an ounce back in the '70s.

In the meantime, maybe Bush will decide to invade Alberta because Condi Rice has evidence that evil Canadians are working on WMDs based on a combination of empty Molson cans, bacon fat, maple syrup, duct tape, and beavers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Groucho said:
I must admit that gas pricies are starting to be an issue with me. When I bought the GTO, I was working 70 high-speed miles from home, and averaged ~22mpg. This new job, which is 115 miles from home, has a higher climb both in and out of work and some traffic issues in the last 25 miles or so... thus knocking my average mileage to 19.5mpg.

I've analyzed the situation using what fuel costs now......getting only 7-8 more mpg would save me ~$10/day. That's nearly $2400/year-- a not insubstantial chunk of change! My short term "solution" is to break up the commute a bit...later this year I plan on buying a used motorcycle, probably a Triumph Trophy / Sprint ST or possibly a BMW R1100RT. This will help, but let's face it...it's mainly for maintaining sanity and having a bit of fun rather than for reasons of frugality. In the winter it's not even an option.

I have a strong feeling that late next year, (at which time the GTO will have ~120k on the odo) I'll be (sadly) swapping the Holden in for a more frugal bit of freeway fun, like a VW GTI, Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX-S, or MINI Cooper S.
I hear front-drive hell calling your name already . . .

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
PWR_SHIFT said:
I hear front-drive hell calling your name already . . .
I'm not happy about it. At all.

However, the only frugal RWD cars out there are the Honda S2000 (two seats only, and not all that fuel efficient), Miata (once again, only two seats) and upcoming BMW 1-Series (too '$pensive)...the Audi A4 Quattro is an option but I have no idea what real-world mileage is...

Oh well...this is off in the future. In the mean time I'm gonna enjoy my Holden!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:

If mileage is an issue, what about that turbo diesel that VW is putting out? :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GTODEALER said:
If mileage is an issue, what about that turbo diesel that VW is putting out? :cheers
That remains to be seen. Some of the modern Euro turbodiesels are impressive (torquey mofos!)-- but it depends on how the importers will package the latest tech oilburners. If they stick them in strippie models with mooshy suspensions (a'la the latest VW TDIs) thatsa no good. I must have my fun. :cool

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
That remains to be seen. Some of the modern Euro turbodiesels are impressive (torquey mofos!)-- but it depends on how the importers will package the latest tech oilburners. If they stick them in strippie models with mooshy suspensions (a'la the latest VW TDIs) thatsa no good. I must have my fun. :cool
I know this is an evil question but, have you ever looked at a SRT-4? Mine got great mileage and ran 12.5's.......if you can get past the "grocery cart wing" and the fact it started life as a neon then it's a hell of a car. Mine was fully loaded with sunroof (didn't have the Kicker sound system :rolleyes: ) and the seats were very comfortable and supported me quite well. :cheers

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I know this is an evil question but, have you ever looked at a SRT-4? Mine got great mileage and ran 12.5's.......if you can get past the "grocery cart wing" and the fact it started life as a neon then it's a hell of a car. Mine was fully loaded with sunroof (didn't have the Kicker sound system :rolleyes: ) and the seats were very comfortable and supported me quite well. :cheers

Never really thought about it...but I've heard good things performance-wise as well....though yours is the first that has said its also comfortable. Hey, I spend at least four hours a day in the saddle...it needs to meet creature comforts to a certain extent.

I'm worried about build quality on these, however...I've heard it's spotty at best. This is an issue as I'm putting ~60k miles/year on my rides now...

Oh well...as the time approaches I may have to revisit that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gas Prices

This is going to sound mean and lofty, but I have to say it.
I wish people would realize that we, in the US are the most
fortunate people on the planet when it comes to this subject.

Gas prices will ebb and flow, as sure as little green apples.
You just have to think about the huge cool factor you get
for giving up some MPG. If you can't overlook that, perhaps
a hybrid vehicle for a commutor would be a solution.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RamAir69 said:
This is going to sound mean and lofty, but I have to say it.
I wish people would realize that we, in the US are the most
fortunate people on the planet when it comes to this subject.

Gas prices will ebb and flow, as sure as little green apples.
You just have to think about the huge cool factor you get
for giving up some MPG. If you can't overlook that, perhaps
a hybrid vehicle for a commutor would be a solution.
You don't sound mean or lofty...a bit uninformed and perhaps even a skosh patronizing, possibly, but not either of those things.

Gas prices do ebb and flow...but we are in for a loooooong flow. The world is changing, and we are now in direct competition with the Chinese and the Indians for oil. Also, no new refineries have been built in the U.S. at least 20 years...and none are on the books...even if we got more oil, refineries are at capacity. We will never see sub-$2.00/gal for gas again-- at least in California. Little green apples are great, but their specific BTU density pales in comparison to 91 octane gasoline.

Cool factor? Power? Damned right, the GTO rocks. If I lived closer to work, I would continue to suck it up. If I could justify a car payment for a weekend-only cruiser, sure. However, reality is what it is. Besides, I'm not panicing, screaming "OMFG I gotta ditch this fuel-sucking beast." The timeframe in which I'm going to replace the GTO is not unreasonable considering the miles I'm piling on the Holden.

Moving closer to work is not an option in the immediate future due to real estate and certain standard of living considerations for my family, so this is my cross to bear. Oh well.

As far as a hybrid goes, gas-electric hybrids make very little sense for my drive. I need/want power to climb the 4100' mountian between home and work, and hybrids actually net very little advantage for long cruises anyway. Where hybrids truly shine is stop-n-go city driving, not long-distance cruising.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gas Prices

I commend you for putting your families quality of life first. That is why we moved from seattle several years ago. The commute/quality of life was killing us. Make less money now, but a hell of alot happier. I have a 1984 toyota , 210,000, that I use three or four times a week as a beater. It gets about the same gas mileage as my gto in town, but it helps keep the miles off my 04.

As for "a bit uninformed and perhaps even a skosh patronizing", I have heard that before along with others, not a problem. I just consider it communication.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Groucho said:
Also, no new refineries have been built in the U.S. at least 20 years...and none are on the books...even if we got more oil, refineries are at capacity.
That may affect gasoline prices -- but has nothing to do with the price of raw crude. In fact, the inability to process raw material should help keep its cost down. But with all the Wall Street speculators piling into the futures market -- prices just don't make sense right now. Refinery capacity was never an issue in the past -- now all of a sudden it's responsible for a 60% rise in crude stocks?

Prices will get back to normal within a year. There are scores of hydrocarbons out there. The Russians are loaded with it. Canada's loaded with it. The markets are just pumping out baloney to keep the prices up -- just like they did with internet stocks. Sooner or later, gravity will take over -- and I will pop a cork when these speculators' hands finally get pulled into the wood chipper.

After all, some people have been saying the sky has been falling regarding oil for 30 years. In fact, the CEO of BP is saying he's expecting to see reserves increase, at a minimum, for the next 10 years. And when prices go up, more people drill -- and more oil will be found.

That said, there's still no reason to waste energy...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.