Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, who ownes a classic muscle car and a new GTO. I still own my first car and have restored it. It is a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 Six Barrel. When I was 16 I bought it off my dad and drove it through high school. I restored it after high school. Since I could drive I have always been a die hard MOPAR fan, until this year. I bought an 04 GTO last month and have not looked back. I completed many test drives and camparisons. The GTO was the definate overall winner in my opinion.

I have not raced these cars against each other yet, but as soon as I trust somebody else to drive one of these cars, I will.

Anyway, I have included a picture of my Roadrunner and GTO.

·
Registered
148 Posts
:agree
Nice cars! They both look show room new!
I have also owned many muscle cars over the years, '67GTO, '68 RoadRunner,'70 GTO RAM AIR111, '69 Vette,'73 Firebird 455 formula, '70 442
'84 Vette:eek: , '84 Z-28, '57 Chev conv. 327, '67 GTX 440 and '68 Camaro 427 All of these great cars have special unique performance capabilities that atracted me to buy them in the first place. I honestly can not say that I enjoyed driving any of these cars more than I do my new '05 GTO!:cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've owned a lot of 'em too. My first NEW muscle car was a '69 Buick Gran Sport State 1 option. Got drafted four months later so it sat for two years. Kept it though. Bought a new '77 Vette and a '76 Grand Prix, both very nice cars. Then went with vans due to business needs but did buy two Monte SS's along the way, last one supercharged. Then a new CTS (going through Lemon Law action on that one now) and finally the '05 GTO which is, without a doubt, the fastest, nicest car I've ever owned..........

JET

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just sold my muscle car. I had a 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 440. I was in the process of restoring it but anyone who has owned one knows how they suck down the money. It had a 410 rearend so it would really haul. Had a 750 cfm 4 barrel edelbrock and a bunch of other goodies...to many to list really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does a '78 Corvette L-82 Count as a classic muscle car?

Had it for 5 years and have slowly restored it over the years. It looks/runs really well, and I enjoy it. Gotta admit I hardly drive it anymore since I got the goat. The GTO is the total package and I absolutely love it.

BTW, I just had a baby boy yesterday, I'm sitting in the hospital now with he and my wife. Look's like he'll be the heir of my Vette and Goat :)

Taylor

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here is a pic of my '68 Chevelle and my '05 GTO peeking out from the carport as much as I love both of them and there’s no doubt the GTO has got it beat in every category but I really love driving the Chevelle more, it gets more looks, smiles and thumbs up from girls than the goat dose. The Chevelle is more of a weekend cruiser where the GTO is for attitude adjustments:cool
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the '78 Mustang I bought when I was 14, slowly restoring it. I almost did the lease take over on a few Goats but being 17 my insurance would be murder, plus I love my Jeep too much, especially during the winter!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
GTO_400 said:
Here is a pic of my '68 Chevelle and my '05 GTO peeking out from the carport as much as I love both of them and there’s no doubt the GTO has got it beat in every category but I really love driving the Chevelle more, it gets more looks, smiles and thumbs up from girls than the goat dose. The Chevelle is more of a weekend cruiser where the GTO is for attitude adjustments:cool
[/URL][/IMG]
Hey, GTO 400, I've got a '68 Chevelle as well! I've cloned it as an SS, so nless you look at the rear end or under the hood, you can't tell.

Are you a member of Chevelle Tech forum?

So far, I've choked on the '05 prices, even tho I've gotten a couple of fair prices. Hope to join the group that owns both soon; I'm guessing Jan or Feb of '06.

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
Freakzilla said:
Just curious, who ownes a classic muscle car and a new GTO. I still own my first car and have restored it. It is a 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 Six Barrel. When I was 16 I bought it off my dad and drove it through high school. I restored it after high school. Since I could drive I have always been a die hard MOPAR fan, until this year. I bought an 04 GTO last month and have not looked back. I completed many test drives and camparisons. The GTO was the definate overall winner in my opinion.

I have not raced these cars against each other yet, but as soon as I trust somebody else to drive one of these cars, I will.

Anyway, I have included a picture of my Roadrunner and GTO.

nice looking car

·
Registered
11 Posts
69 Z-28 with 19,000 orig miles...I bought it new 2 days after graduation. I also have a 68 Dodge Darts GTS with a 383 4bbl with only 34,000 miles and I drive it alot. God I love old muscle. I also think the Goat is one of the most refind cars that isn't just one type but covers all sides that makes it a great car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! There really is nothing like driving one of these old beasts down the road. They are big, clunking, noisy, and just tons of fun. Rest assured, my Runner is no sloutch; 440 with 3 carbs, automatic trans and 4:10 posi trac with sticky Mickeys. However, I do enjoy new muscle and the feel of the new GTO is what I have been after for quite some time. Before I bought the GTO I had a 1992 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. I only put about $1000.00 bucks in mods and ran a 13.1 in the quarter @ about 4500 ft above sea level. Not bad, it definately would be my GTO. But, a $1000.00 bucks into the Goat will go a long way. Now if I can just start buying the parts, it will be awesome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
lets see... starting from the bottom of the list 2 1979 TA's both 400, 1 muncie both t-top, the muncie is black on tan, the auto is gold on tan, 1985 3.8l l67 fiero gt, 1986 TA, blue on saddle, 4th gen dash conversion, M6 t56, w/a 72 lemans bb 400, 1994 caprice 9c1 lots o' mods, 1994 impala ss, stock, 2002 chevrolet camaro 5200 miles stock, and lets not forget the newest 2005 gto just purchased.

cars that I had

1987 V-8 sbc fiero with gt body conversion
1989 corvette M-6
1992 corvette LT-1
2 other 9C1 caprices both 1996
1998 camaro z28
2002 chevrolet corvette auto yep gto is alot faster

I like the gto the best out of the bunch, awesome style, fast, nice interior best bang for the buck

·
Registered
103 Posts

--1968 Camaro owned for 11 yrs
--2004 Qucksilver M6
Past Vehicles: '74 Camaro, 76 Firebird, '84 Camaro(had a mullet back then), '72 Chev C-10 Longbed 402, '56 Packard Patrician, 68 International PU, '51 Hudson Hornet, '53 Hudson Hornet, '40 LaSalle, '40 Buick Super 8, '88 Pontiac Sunbird, 90 Beretta GTZ, '83 Buick Electra

·
Registered
674 Posts
Got my 68 Firebird Convertible when I was 14 back when Led Zep was the new sound in music in 76. Now i am at that stage of life when i am doing what i said i would never do and offering it up for sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GasTiresandOil said:
68 and 04

:cheers
Both of your cars are awesome! Before I bought the Runner from my dad, we looked at a 68 GTO, same green color with hidden headlights. I was just about to turn 16 at the time, I'm 31 now. I wanted that car really bad, but for some reason he didn't want me to buy it. Ever since then, I have always had a soft spot for the 68 GTO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.