Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i always thalt transmissions wert painted by the factory but the th350 in that junker lemans has green paint under all the grease, im pretty sure knowbody painted it seeing has the car had most of the original paint but i was cleaning it t osee if it had any markings and the hold thing is green! fyi it had a 7 on it for whatever reason?"???

·
Registered
445 Posts
Keep in mind that these cars are over 40 years old now, so the fact that there is grease covering things up doesn't mean it hasn't been messed with during that (almost) half century of time.

Pontiac never painted the TH350 any color - these transmissions were always left bare cast aluminum. If the tranny has been painted, somebody has done a little creative work sometime during the car's life. Some tranny builders do this to identify the transmission as their work - it keeps people from trying to get warranty repairs on a transmission not repaired by the builder. When I was building automatics, I painted the pans GM coporate blue to I could easliy spot one of my transmissions: Since I actually did warranty rebuilds on near-new cars back in '77, there are probably people who think there were "original" TH350 and 400s with blue pans...

Lars
Former instructor - GM Training Center
TH350, TH400, Q-Jet Carbs & Ignitions Systems

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thalt bout a rebuild, going by the stuff on the car I don't think the owner would of had the skill to do anything himself so a rebuilder is very likely, any idea what the embossed 7 means?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the embossed number has been metal-stamped into the case, it's another ID put there by the tranny builder for his own record keeping and ID. If the number is cast into the case, it's a foundry ID: GM never single-sourced anything for these cars, and the different foundries had different cast designators for the parts they built.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh well it's cast so that's what it is. Thanks for the info, it's easy to find detailed info bout engines and heads but transmissions and rear end info is lacking on the net.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's just a foundry ID cast into the case. The paint is overspray or intentional paint that somebody did when they had the tranny out of the car - GM never painted any TH350 like that. "Normal" appearance of the tranny is like this:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts