Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research, a turbocharger+cool air intake for the gto would cost around 5000, if you are looking for that extra 50 on the 05, this turbo would give you more horses and still save around 3000 after you done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, but they won't make any deals with you. you can only buy a 05 at sticker price. 04 you can buy for much cheaper plus rebates and stuff. Don't expect to get a deal on 05s until late august next year.

·
Registered
590 Posts
to me it was a simple decision. a mod here a mod there, warranty; schmarranty.

now, i'm not going overboard and start sprayin' or something, but you get way over 400 hp and you start snappin' driveshafts, blowing out your dana, tranny synchos goin' zing, i've seen it all on the SS owner's forum for the last 3 years, so i got a pretty good idea which direction to go :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
14" brakes are $900, that's the only upgrade on the '05 that meant a big deal to me and those are only 13" I think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
terry1122 said:
I did some research, a turbocharger+cool air intake for the gto would cost around 5000, if you are looking for that extra 50 on the 05, this turbo would give you more horses and still save around 3000 after you done.
:agree This is exactly what the dealr told me. He said that th only way that buying an 05 will benefit you , is if you are willing to wait until early november/december next year for the deals to start rollin in!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ls2

I just want to wait for the LS2 engine. And my rule of thumb is never by the 1st model year. Plus I can't stand the exhaust being routed to one side like that. Although one does lose a couple of cubic feet in trunk with the 05's due to the rerouted dual exhaust.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Turbo?? Who turbo charges a high comp V-8. A vortec would make more power.

One other plus is that the 04's have a already large aftermarket due to the motor has been out for a while in the Vette and the Camaro. U can always take the 04 and put a Cam and Heads on it and be well beyond 400 horse. But gas m/ks and everything else right out the window.

I'm staying with the 05. I like warranties, everything is free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree about not "buying" the first model of a new car. But you can lease the the 04 for a great price for 2 years. Run the piss out of the car, then buy the 06 when they come out, or get an 05 for a great deal.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've been checking the GM dealer ordering site. The trunk volume is 7 cubic feet on the 05, 9 on the 04 - 20+% difference. Hard to believe that this is because they changed the exhaust routing.

Also, been having difficulty verifying the larger brakes. From the HSV site, it takes 18-inch wheels to get brake rotors larger than 13-inch diameter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Found it - 2004 has 11.7-in vented disc in front and 11.3-in disc in the rear. So improvement can be made for 2005.

GTOs are $8000 of this weekend in the DFW area. Anyone know when they will stop shipping the 2004s?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Afterglow said:
I agree about not "buying" the first model of a new car. But you can lease the the 04 for a great price for 2 years. Run the piss out of the car, then buy the 06 when they come out, or get an 05 for a great deal.
Just my 2 cents.

This is not the first year for the GTO. All of the drivetrain is carry over from current vehicles, and the car has been built for years in Australia.

Rerouting the exhaust system required them to change the design on the gas tank which caused them to lower the trunk space. But then again if you are buying a sports car for the trunk space. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
terry1122 said:
Leave the turbo's for those civic ricer pu**ies, A centrifugal super charger will be nicer to the engine in the long run, not only that but you have wait for the turbo to spool up where the s/c is a constant power source.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.