Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey True...did you find the thread Jim was talking about? I did a couple quick searches, but my patience gave up. I'm just curious now that I know the 66's were different like that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time researching this topic and never found a clear answer. I think it was just for style, or to be different. I have not found any indication of function and have actually seen them installed backwards so I assume it was purely cosmetic.

Here is the link I suspect Jim was thinking of:

·
Registered
98 Posts
This goes way back into the early sixties with the painted valve covers having the peaks. I don't know of any particular reason except for style. BTW, the 66 chrome valve covers are the same as the 66 painted ones used on all other Pontiac engines that year.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Peaked valve covers first started showing up in 1961. The same time California started requiring PCV systems. No positive proof but it has been thought that the peak may have been a way of collecting oil vapors for the early type of PCV.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That makes sense. That may be correct. I had not considered that possibility. I always wondered if it was for physical clearance of some internal component, but vapors could be the reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts