Pontiac GTO Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post and I hope it's not a crash and burn ;) I have a question, I am trying to figure out why the huge debates on which is better, I mean both cars have their ups and downs right? I'm just here to further educate myself on the topic. I've asked this in the mustang forums before and as you can expect I get a biased point of view, so I figured why not come here and hear your opinions! As you can see I am a 06 GT owner and I do understand that stock vs stock we die, I mean hell a good friend of mine has a 05 GTO and I do like the car, and he likes my GT and we both wonder whats the big controversy about?! So anyway do you have any ideas on why so hostile toward one another? Thanks in advance! :cool

Oh and heres a picture of the 2 cars, both are black on black on red, lol!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't understand it either but most of the talk I've seen has been good natured rubbing. Some people hate GM, Ford, Dodge etc. I like horsepower and love a good race. Domestic automakers are in big enough trouble against the imports and some of us aren't helping. GM, Ford and Dodge rule! Its fun talking trash as long as thats all it is and no one takes things personal. Of course I hate rice but thats just my personal opinion. :cheers

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
one_focused_svt said:
Hey everyone, first post and I hope it's not a crash and burn ;) I have a question, I am trying to figure out why the huge debates on which is better, I mean both cars have their ups and downs right? I'm just here to further educate myself on the topic. I've asked this in the mustang forums before and as you can expect I get a biased point of view, so I figured why not come here and hear your opinions! As you can see I am a 06 GT owner and I do understand that stock vs stock we die, I mean hell a good friend of mine has a 05 GTO and I do like the car, and he likes my GT and we both wonder whats the big controversy about?! So anyway do you have any ideas on why so hostile toward one another? Thanks in advance! :cool

IMHO it comes from NASCAR; and Ford Vs. GM vs. Chrysler. Has been a rivalry for as long as I can remember.

Still, I didn't buy my car to race Mustangs or anything else. I just like a powerful car. Drove the Mustang GT before I went for the GTO. Loved the exterior styling; didn't like the shifter, or the seats and interior other than the dash.

Still, a very nice car, and very much in demand. Some GTO owners I think are a little defensive about their cars. While Ford is advertising the HEL out of the Mustang, the GTO seems to be a poor stepchild of GM. Can't figure that out, but I personally could care less.

Guy at my work has an '02 Saleen. He is just about to pop a vein in his forehead because I won't race. His problem.

Enjoy your car. It's a nice one.

·
Registered
850 Posts
one_focused_svt said:

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!! :party: I totally agree with you! I think it's just a competition issue. I'm a new car director at a car dealership so I have to keep abreast on all new cars...especially the competition. To me, it's all about what you like best and what features. I don't hate the Mustang but I certainly do prefer the GTO. But, it's human nature to say "mine is better than yours". But welcome to our Forum! :seeya:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only went off because the guy was GTO bashing. I test drove the Mustang GT before my GTO. However, I did not want a car that everyone and there brother will own. (not being mean, just true), my preference. Every since the 80s. It seems the Mustang has become the ******* flagship car. Not that everybody that owns one is one. But If you ask alot of people they will tell you the same. Like I said, I am not brand specific. I would take an original Shelbly 428 or Boss 429. I just like the style car that not everybody has. I don't like the trans-am or the camaro either. unless it a 77 or 78 trans-am or a 68 or 69 camaro. I would not by a new camaro if they made it look "retro". That's why I love the GTO ,the C-6, and the Z06. They are not "retro". Just high performance V-8s. Oh yes. and let's not forget the Viper. I still have 4 models in my house of them.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I agree, it's more of just good ol' ribbing than anything else.
I have owned a mustang cobra, which was an insanely fast car, and a helluva lot of fun to drive. I've also had 3 Trans Ams and a Camaro and they were hella fun to drive too.
Personally, I don't have anything against Ford owners, or mustang owners in general. In fact, the guys who I had tune my last truck were mustang guys and they were the most precise, good-natured and knowledgeable people. I have never seen a tuner who took as much time as needed to get the air:fuel ratio PERFECT like they did. Most people are like "eh, that's pretty close, you're good to go".
As far as the new Mustangs go, I really like the styling. I actually drove one and was mighty close to buying one before I bought the goat. The one I was looking at was black/red, just like yours. I think Ford did a great job of melding the new and the old. For me, it all came down to price though. The Ford dealer didn't really seem like they wanted to work with me, the Pontiac dealer did. I'm very happy with my choice. I guess my only real problem with the new mustang is that you can't turn around without seeing one. They're EVERYWHERE! I drove 3000 miles two weeks ago and didn't see a single other GTO. We're part of a rather exclusive club, that's just not something you can be a part of with the Mustang. Maybe that's not a bad thing, I mean you guys have a whole plethora of performance parts to choose from. It seems like the aftermarket is just now getting their 05 GTO parts out.
I rev my engine when I meet a Mustang at a stoplight, it's all in good fun though. One of these days I'll probably run into a highly modified Mustang that will hand my arse to me. I'd congratulate that driver just as I would another GTO driver.
I guess when it comes to perception, the Mustang is more of the boy-racer car, while the GTO is a bit more refined.
I don't have anything against ya though, even if you DO drive an inferior car!! (haha, just kiddin')

·
Registered
700 Posts
I wouldn't mind having one...white with blue stripes. However, there's NOOOOOOO way I'd pay $40k+ for one, that's just insane. I could build a wicked fast mustang, which is virtually identical to the shelby for $40k....and it WOULD blow the doors off of a stock or mildly modified LS2 GTO. Just imagine all the performance stuff you could buy for $15k!!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Overall, GTO owners just get tired of owners of inferior cars like the Mustang trying to compare theirs to ours -- let alone say they're better.

Look at the Mustang. Weak engine, outdated suspension, an interior that's truly lame. The styling? The magazines all fall all over the Mustang -- while bashing the GTO. Meanwhile, the styling of the Holden Monaro is praised in Australia, Europe and all the other markets the car is exported to. Look, if I wanted a car with 1967 styling, I would have bought one -- but I tend to look at things that were popular back then, such as rotary dial telephones and Brylcreem -- as behind the times these days.

Another part of the "rivalry", so to speak, came from last year's Car and Driver comparison. The GTO flat out beat the Mustang in every category -- yet the Mustang won by a point because of the magazine's subjective "gotta have it factor" that gave the Ford 7 points. Keep in mind that the Mustang is one of C/D's "10 Best" cars -- and it got beat -- but ended up winning because the whole thing was rigged.

And why did I put the word rivalry in quotes? Because to have a rivalry -- you need to have two sides that care. Given that this is such a mismatch -- I don't even bother with Mustangs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
its like Yankees/Redsox.....both are good but 1 is superior(Yankees of course)

Just last week a friend of mine bought an 06 GT 6 spd nice enough car but he ended up paying almost 29K for it and its not nearly as nice as a GTO
some people just want to drive what everyone else has,I call it the Sony syndrome,I would rather have a more unique car and the fact that it has 100 more HP , a much nicer interior , 6 spd trans instead of 5 ,and IRS instead of a live axle doesn't hurt either......but Stangs are cool too much better than a ricer

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, at least you don't hear any mustangs that sound like weed eaters or leaf blowers...and so far, I haven't seen any mustangs with coffee cans as exhaust tips...so I guess that counts for SOMETHING! hehe

·
Registered
850 Posts
baron_iv said:
Yeah, at least you don't hear any mustangs that sound like weed eaters or leaf blowers...and so far, I haven't seen any mustangs with coffee cans as exhaust tips...so I guess that counts for SOMETHING! hehe
That's odd...I thought they sounded like Japanese mosquitos?!?!?:lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
They sound like a lot of things...none of which are good, or how a car is SUPPOSED to sound.
GM/Pontiac/Holden hit the nail on the head with the exhaust of the GTO, it's nearly perfect. When I think of a traditional muscle car, it's got that rumble that is unmistakable for anything else.

·
Registered
850 Posts
baron_iv said:
They sound like a lot of things...none of which are good, or how a car is SUPPOSED to sound.
GM/Pontiac/Holden hit the nail on the head with the exhaust of the GTO, it's nearly perfect. When I think of a traditional muscle car, it's got that rumble that is unmistakable for anything else.
Oh Yeah!!!! That RUMBLE!!!!! It makes my toes curl and puts a smile on my face!!!!;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
GOATGIRL said:
Oh Yeah!!!! That RUMBLE!!!!! It makes my toes curl and puts a smile on my face!!!!;)
I'm not even gonna touch that one. :rofl:

·
Registered
96 Posts
aaahhhhh eeiiiiiieeeeii aaaaahhh. That is the only politically correct version of what I was thinking of goatgirls post. lol

1 - 20 of 308 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.