Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night, coming home on the 99 freeway at my customary 80mph, a G35 sedan comes flying past me.

I'm game.

So, I drop her into 5th to give chase. I'm not out to race him, just run with him. It's nice to have a fellow speedfreak when one is playing in the felony velocity envelope.

So we drove for about 30 or so miles, carving past the sheeple and the idiot truckers at speeds between 100-130 mph...trading leads as one or the other of us found better lines through traffic...never tailgating, and never in each other's blindspot. Big assed-grins all around.

Encountering heavier, slower traffic as we approached Bakersfield, we backed off a bit and saluted each other as he peeled off eastbound on the 58 split.

That's fun stuff.

On the way in this morning on the Grapevine section of the I-5, a guy in a red Lexus SC300 wanted to play, but was bit more aggressive...when I would find a line through traffic, he would come up on my six a bit too close for comfort. I was reluctant to really boogie up there, as the last week and a half the Grapevine has been a virtual CHiPpie convention. About the third time he did it, however, I had enough. I dropped the Tremec into 4th and just rocketed away..not sure how fast I got going but I tripped my overspeed warning, which is set at 125 mph. He was trying, but there was just no fecking way...especially when I ducked between a flatbed hauling steel pipe and an irrigation truck.

Ten minutes had past. On the way downhill into Castaic, I had set my cruise back to my customary 80 and was coasting in the middle lane. The red Lexus comes screaming downhill behind me, in the left lane. Still behind me, he slowed a bit to get a better look at the screaming yellow zonker that just humiliated his Tokyo sled. Suddenly the Valentine squawked out a warning of a strong Ka-band emmitter ahead. I got on the brakes to get the speed to 65, and the Lexus slid past me. As he did, a feeling of goodwill overcame me and I pointed at the black box tucked high on my windshield. He got the message and backed off.

The rest of the drive was uneventful.

This car is bleeding me to death in gas...but it is one of the best cures for the long-commute blues available.

And, it's mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I've put 7000 miles on mine in just a couple of months, so I know what you mean. There isn't much that will hang with a goat on the highway as I have found out...its still fun to watch them try though. :lol:

Last night I took an employee home from work, who apparently didnt know much about cars, because he asked me if my car would beat an ex-employees Del Sol (fart can, decent suspension, displacement of a bottle of coke) I thought i would set this straight, so coming off a stoplight i let the rpms raise to about 3 grand and then punched it. Managed to burn some rubber pulling into 2nd even with traction control on...all my passenger could say was holy **** and I looked over and he was grabbing on the window sill. I love to learn people something :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Groucho said:
Last night, coming home on the 99 freeway at my customary 80mph, a G35 sedan comes flying past me.

I'm game.

So, I drop her into 5th to give chase. I'm not out to race him, just run with him. It's nice to have a fellow speedfreak when one is playing in the felony velocity envelope.

So we drove for about 30 or so miles, carving past the sheeple and the idiot truckers at speeds between 100-130 mph...trading leads as one or the other of us found better lines through traffic...never tailgating, and never in each other's blindspot. Big assed-grins all around.

Encountering heavier, slower traffic as we approached Bakersfield, we backed off a bit and saluted each other as he peeled off eastbound on the 58 split.

That's fun stuff.
Aren't Commutes like that the best... :cheers I had something similiar with a C55 AMG . Not a race mind you just a high speed Grand Tour of a 10 mile strip of 301 in the triple digit range. Handling is so smooth at speed that when the speed alarm goes off , ya just reach down press mode and continue on. Then as we come up on Lawtey (AAA official speedtrap) I let off gas (I've learned the engine well enough now that I don't need brakes to coast down-but gave the three taps to let him know my V1 was active-I use the remote display) and we coast around the corner at 55 and sure enough there is local unmarked and Highway Patrol as we cruise by legally. He then turns off (local residence) and flashes his lights to say thanks.
:cool stuff and big :D 's.

It's very rare to find partner's in Crime anymore that will drive with proper distance ; sharing the Rabbit position ; HighSpeed awareness and skill (left lane only with lights and limited braking and/or bumper inspecting slower vehicles , for examples) in the GOtoJail envelopes.
Most driver's are full on , then brakes , the lane change craziness , always want to follow...(you know the type). But when you find another driver that knows how to be reckless with skill - It just doesn't get any better than that , no matter what Brand/Model they drive. :)

But with the GTO it's massive how it Flys (actually growls) and will Pull anything in... :eek: IMHO my Goat feels much better at 80 and above and complains at 55... Be Safe and pick your Spots to build the New Legacy... :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Little reasons why the GTO is quite lovely:

- No antenna.
- Flush gas door.
- Room to get your hands down in the engine bay.
- EVERYTHING is accessible under the hood.
- 4th gear (M6 guys know what I am talking about).
- Good American Engine. Good Australian Shell.
- Happy friends in the back seat of a 2+2!
- Theft Proof Radio. Even the dumbest criminal knows that this thing won't fit another vehicle out there.
- Fun animated graphics. Rest Reminder! Low Fuel! Uh-oh, Watch that Traction!
- How SICK is that donut rim!?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Xcommuter said:
Aren't Commutes like that the best... :cheers I had something similiar with a C55 AMG . Not a race mind you just a high speed Grand Tour of a 10 mile strip of 301 in the triple digit range. Handling is so smooth at speed that when the speed alarm goes off , ya just reach down press mode and continue on. Then as we come up on Lawtey (AAA official speedtrap) I let off gas (I've learned the engine well enough now that I don't need brakes to coast down-but gave the three taps to let him know my V1 was active-I use the remote display) and we coast around the corner at 55 and sure enough there is local unmarked and Highway Patrol as we cruise by legally. He then turns off (local residence) and flashes his lights to say thanks.
:cool stuff and big :D 's.

It's very rare to find partner's in Crime anymore that will drive with proper distance ; sharing the Rabbit position ; HighSpeed awareness and skill (left lane only with lights and limited braking and/or bumper inspecting slower vehicles , for examples) in the GOtoJail envelopes.
Most driver's are full on , then brakes , the lane change craziness , always want to follow...(you know the type). But when you find another driver that knows how to be reckless with skill - It just doesn't get any better than that , no matter what Brand/Model they drive. :)

But with the GTO it's massive how it Flys (actually growls) and will Pull anything in... :eek: IMHO my Goat feels much better at 80 and above and complains at 55... Be Safe and pick your Spots to build the New Legacy... :cool
i feel u on that. i had a vw jetta follow me for about 200 miles on i-85 last month and he stayed with me the whole way. he even slowed up for me when i needed to get in the fast lane all thru atlanta. thanx vw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
EEZ GOAT said:
i feel u on that. i had a vw jetta follow me for about 200 miles on i-85 last month and he stayed with me the whole way. he even slowed up for me when i needed to get in the fast lane all thru atlanta. thanx vw.
Wow that' weird. Pretty much every Jetta driver I've seen is an asswhipe.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top